Type of Fuel to Run in 98 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD with 5.9L engine. Everything is stock on the truck, I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is okay to run regular unleaded 87 octane WITH 10% ethanol in it or would it be better to replace fuel filter and run unleaded 87 WITHOUT ethanol in it. The truck has 134,500 miles on it and I believe my grandfather ran gas with ethanol but I just wanted to know if the latter option was better or not, thanks

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can run whatever fuel grade you want really. Ethanol creates a slightly better byproduct and is why it's in most fuels. However it does have about 30% less energy content so it requires about 30% more to do the same thing as plain gasoline.
87 with ethanol will net slightly less mileage as 87 no ethanol.
89 though is often easier to find and often cheaper but always has 10-15% ethanol.

Higher octanes like 91 or 93 have no benefit unless you're experiencing spark knock. Octane is just a measurement of resistance to pre-ignition and nothing else. 30 years ago it was cleaner fuel with more additives yes but the modern government mandates for fuel are much higher and require as much better product....one of the few automotive regulations i actually like, personally.

That truck will run just about whatever you put in it short of water. My father even ran a couple gallons of diesel through my truck when i was young. Ran ****** but ran. Guy in my town has been running old diesel and kerosene in his forever. One of those vehicles that the fact it runs defies physics lol. It does though.

Hope some of this helps

Reactions: mjp
OP
OP
M

mjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
A very sincere thank you for taking the time to answer my question! That helps me out alot, it was my grandfather's truck and I want the best for the truck no matter how much something cost. Again, thank you