Underdrive pullys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
So i am going with an elctric fan to free up some HP and gain some MPG. I was thiking about goin with a set of Auto Specialties 504522 - Auto Specialties Underdrive Street Pulley Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com Now i have never played with these before, are they worth the $180 with shipping? I see Jet has a set they say gain you 10-15 HP at the rear wheels. With a gain like that I'd be able to get my money back in MPG, yes I can actually keep my foot out of it LOL.
Just wondering if any one has used these and what they thought about them.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
My son has under drive pullies on his Mustang, drags the engine RPM down alot at idle...so lower amperage output form his car, then adding electric fans, may have more 'power' when driving, but may concern me at idle.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i had underdrive pullies once on my truck. and it also had charging issues. if you were going down the road it wasnt bad. but if you stop volts go right down. i took mine off. plus the hp they are telling you is way over exagerated. it might net you 5hp if you are lucky.more like 2-3hp. not worth the hassel in my opinion.

Reaction score
Born,raised and currently reside in eastern Ohio
Ram Year
1999 quad cab sport 4x4
Engine
5.9 Magnum=360CI
i had underdrive pullies once on my truck. and it also had charging issues. if you were going down the road it wasnt bad. but if you stop volts go right down. i took mine off. plus the hp they are telling you is way over exagerated. it might net you 5hp if you are lucky.more like 2-3hp. not worth the hassel in my opinion.

I was curious about that..And if anyone has had cooling issues(magnum engines mainly)....Did you have a load on the system like a large audio system..Or just normal accessories ?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
my sons car was stock, no sound system at all...really slowed down components...

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wat is the ACTUAL help that the pulley will give? I don't see how a pulley can change performance???!?!??!

Sent from my ADR6350

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
factory stereo. the only thing i had extra was a flexalite efan at the time. and it draws very low amps for a big fan.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Wat is the ACTUAL help that the pulley will give? I don't see how a pulley can change performance???!?!??!

Sent from my ADR6350

slows belt rotation, less drag on engine

OP
OP
Hotroder383

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Ya I remember guys talkin about the charging issue. if 2-3hp is all that I would that is deff NOT worth the money. Even if I were to buy the crank and water pump pulley I wondered at the 10 HP they were saying. I'm with ya mossy, if I ran across a set used for around $75 I might try them but not payin that kinda money to not gain anything.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i kinda think of 'em as a drag race thing.