Urgent Help Needed: Wont Read OBDII/CAN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 C.I Magnum 5.9
Need to get my Check engine light off to pass the emissions test this week, But the scanner wont read anything from the CAN/OBDII Plug under the dash.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem? What is the most common fix?

Could it have anything to do with my Interior lights, Radio headunit and Fog lights not working as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am getting very desperate for an answer as I slowly run out of time.

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Its an easy fix, usually. You most likely have a blown fuse under your dash. Your accessory fuse (its sometimes called) controls your cigarette lighter and obd2 plug. Check that fuse

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
^^Usually. I have the same problem with the OBDII not working with the scanner but I can't figure out what the problem is. I'm thinking I have a short somewhere in the diagnostic line. Yours sounds like it's either the fuse box or it could possibly be a bad ground somewhere seeing as all those things don't work. My money would be on the bad ground tho.

OP
OP
D

Deejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 C.I Magnum 5.9
Forgot to mention, I also had my cigarette lighter and my reverse lights out when this problem started, After checking both fuse boxes and replacing these 2 fuses I am still having the problem. I am thinking some sort of ground or short myself. Anybody know how hard this is to track? or where to start?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'd start checking wiring diagrams in the FSM or a Haynes manual or something and find where they all meet up at. Chances are somewhere near that is where your problem is.

OP
OP
D

Deejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 C.I Magnum 5.9
After playing around a little more with the wiring behind the dash I have figured out this much....

The radio is getting power from the ignition but not from the battery (however the fuse in the box has power). Trying to trace down the wiring harness for the radio I found that it goes into some sort of wire channel behind the heater controls and then goes over the gauge cluster and into the fuse panel (So I assume). When I wiggle this wire around the adapter for the scanner moves as well though.

Is It even likely to have a break somewhere inside of this wiring channel? or is there a chance my fuse box in the dash is shot?

Im getting confused trying to figure out where this wire could even be going or how it could have broken/grounded.