V10 Lifter Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TKulak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hello I am working on my father-in-law's 97 V10 2500 Dodge the lifters are removed. My question is does the hole on the lifter(midway down) go to the top or the bottom in relation to the lifter bore? To be more clear if you were standing on the side of the engine, would the hole go toward the opposite side (top) or your side (bottom) or does it really matter? The factory Manual says the hole should point forward but that is not possible with this lifter any input would be appreciated.IMG_7043.jpgIMG_7042.jpg

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
It doesn't make a huge difference but I always install them facing the intake (center of the engine) as it can help prevent oil from draining out and filling with air. It won't cause any real long term damage if you install them holes downward (facing the exhaust manifold) but you might have slightly noisy lifters for a second or two when it first starts up after sitting until they bleed the air out.

Just make sure the rollers are in line with the camshaft.