valve cover breather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnMZ24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
98 ram 5.2.... the valve cover breather for that year is it just an L shaped piece or is it a valve? Theres alot of suction coming out of it and i took it off today and it wasnt a valve so im not sure if there supposta be one there or just an L tube. Its makin my rpm go to 1200.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
It is just a plastic L as you saw, the pcv valve will be on the other VC.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Your RPM is going up when you pull the hose off it?
You should have a PCV on one valve cover (like Merc stated) and the breather on the other and I'll be honest, I don't remember the breather having suction on it. The PCV will if you pull the entire unit (hose and all) out of the valve cover.

OP
OP
J

johnMZ24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can hear it suckin air so much i hear it in the cab..and thats inside the airbox! When i take the hose off the airbox there allllot of suction.

fastSdime

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum 360
If you pull your oil cap how much suction do you get a lot? If so that is one of the signs of your plenum gasket being bad on the bottom of the intake. I use to have that problem till I change that out and put the aluminum plate on there.