Water pump inlet tube question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have searched here and on other forums but haven't found the answer to this question yet: can the heater inlet tube on the driver side of the water pump being somewhat wobbly and still be fine?

I just got done doing a bunch of work, replacing the water pump being some of that work, and this inlet tube came with the water pump and a small o ring to fit on the end. The instructions with the water pump say to just push it on the tube, then push the tube into the pump. That's it. Doesn't mention to rtv it or anything. I did put a very tiny amount which I know didn't seal anything, and when I got it all back together, I started pouring coolant in the radiator to fill it. It started coming out of the water pump where the inlet tube sits in it pretty heavily. So I drained it and cleaned it and dried it off, then I pulled the tube out, replaced the o ring, and then put a ton of red rtv high heat around the tube and then shoved it back in.a little bit of it oozed up out of the hole so I'm assuming it's spread all the way around it. Then I put some more rtv around the base of it as extra insurance so now I have a good amount. I figured I would wait until tomorrow for it to fully cure and start the process over again. I just checked it now after 4 hours of it set, and its dries and not sticky, but that tube wobbles a little bit. I don't want to yank on it too much but I'm wondering if this will be fine. The old water pump didn't have any play in the tube and it was seized up in it. Not sure if it's corrosion or they jb welded it or what. What's the verdict on this? I think this was a horrible design and could have been better.

OP
OP
IrocRam

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There should be a piece on it to bolt it to the engine

Are you referring to the bracket that sticks out with the slot for the bolt to go through? If so, I had to bend mine out of the way because it didn't quite line up right with the bolt hole.I'm guessing now it will just take months of use before it starts to get more solid. The one I took off looks like a crap ton of rtv all over it to hold it in place and i couldn't get it out of the old water pump. As long as it doesn't leak I don't care if it's a little loose.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I need a pic to visualize what's going on, here.

OP
OP
IrocRam

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need a pic to visualize what's going on, here.

It's the metal tube about 6" sticking out of the right side of the water pump for the heater I believe. The rtv I used and the amount did the trick. After fixing the ignition wiring I started it after filling it and no leaks. My gauge also wasn't reading much higher than 130° before either and now it went up to apmsot 200° after 15-20 minutes of running stationary.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
that bolt that runs through that tube is very important. if it doesnt line up you need to make it line up. When I did mine I used rtv and the little gasket and bolted it in place. 40,000 miles later no problems.

If you are heating up quickly like that most likely you have air trapped in the system and need to purge it.

OP
OP
IrocRam

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that bolt that runs through that tube is very important. if it doesnt line up you need to make it line up. When I did mine I used rtv and the little gasket and bolted it in place. 40,000 miles later no problems.

If you are heating up quickly like that most likely you have air trapped in the system and need to purge it.

Well the old water pump that was on the bracket wasn't even rubbing against the bolt. The boot barely touched it. I just bent it out of the way. The tube is fully seated but it's possible that bracket got bent before it was shipped. Either way it doesn't leak now but I'm going to keep an eye on it to make sure it stays that way. Worst case I will just buy a new one of those metal tubes.

You think that's hot quickly? My camaro heats up faster than that and it doesn't overheat. I wasn't saying I'm concerned, I was stating the fact that it actually goes up higher is an indication that it still works, at least at the time. Getting to 200° in 15-20 minutes on a vehicle that isn't moving is really not heating up fast, at least not in any vehicle I have ever owned. Again, I will keep an eye on everything to make sure. I kind of wish I replaced the coolant temp sensor when I had everything off but oh well.