Weird 2nd-3rd gear shift. Slipping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARWhitford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
My 1999 5.2L Ram has a weird shift during 2nd going into 3rd. It shifts and holds gear just fine EXCEPT for the transition from 2nd to 3rd.

Basically, when the auto clutch engages, the RPMs go up by 200. It shifts fine except for that jump. It revs up as if it was in neutral but its a very quick, smooth transition.

Has anyone experienced this? What could the issue be?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Fluid and filter change first. I'd also adjust the front band, that is likely a cause for the problem, especially if your fluid is black or really dark brown.

For the front band, the service manual says to tighten to 72 IN-lbs. Not foot pounds, inch pounds. Then backoff 2 7/8th turns, though Dapepper has given a different number. I think just two full turns back. The service manual is great, but i'm inclined to go with Dapepper on this one.

If that doesn't fix it, on to further testing. A fluid and filter change is about the cheapest and easiest test for some of these problems.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Actually i believe the manual suggests like a turn and a half. I usually suggest 3 because unless you've been doing proper 30k max fluid intervals and band adjustments that setting is simply too tight. Can often burn up the bands.

Also for 2-3 that's often related to the governor solenoid and sensor. Since you're going to be going in the pan anyways and since it's a fickle messy ***** dropping the pan id go ahead and change those for ***** and giggles to avoid needing to go back in. And rather than parts store I'd suggest cascadetransmussionparts.com

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
3 Turns is surely easier to count :roflsquared:
The service manual I have downloaded says 2 for the rear, and 2 7/8ths for the front. Like I said, i'm inclined to go with you Dapepper. Perhaps it was different for the RE and RH model? Seems like a benign change that could even be made between years.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
3 Turns is surely easier to count :roflsquared:
The service manual I have downloaded says 2 for the rear, and 2 7/8ths for the front. Like I said, i'm inclined to go with you Dapepper. Perhaps it was different for the RE and RH model? Seems like a benign change that could even be made between years.

**** yeah you're right factory specifys 2-7/8. My memory ****** me and i pulled up the conversation i had with the rebuilder that suggested more to me. 4-5 rurns if service hasn't been consistent has given his customers a good track record. I myself wouldn't go over the 4 just to be safe.