Weird engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Sounds like something spinning with a bad bearing.

https://youtu.be/OXhp2oRLRiA

I also have a question on cat replacement, i just replaced mine and welded it on myself. Will i have issues getting smogged now? I read it has to be done professionally.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Check the bearings on your idler and tensioner pulleys. Thats what it sounds like to me. If it was something in the engine doing that, it wouldn't be running very long. It could be the alternator, ac compressor flywheel, or water pump. If you want to check, remove the serpentine belt and put some sideways pressure on the pulley then spin it. The tensioner pulleys seem to go pretty often.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The cat being "professionally" installed refers to swapping the entire y pipe and cat assembly which can be a ***** and might even take some cutting or welding in a new universal cat. Very vast majority of people can't do these things with basic hand tools at home on their own. Hence the professional install suggestion. Nothing you do will alter the operation of it when all it does is get really really hot to burn off gasses