What to do with engine out of truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hey everybody. Let me enlighten you to my situation then hear what ya think.

So my 1997 ram 2500 5.9 V8 just rolled over 225k. Shes old. She makes blue and black smoke. Shes just not worth fixing, however, the rest of the drivetrain is fine. Trans, xcase, etc.

I dont have the money for a new truck, but I do have the money for an engine. I found a 135k mile motor that the guy wants 300 for. Hes going to send me a video of it running before he pulls it for me.

Now, while this engines out, I intend to do almost all gaskets and seals, plugs, intake fix, cap/rotor, high volume oil pump, the works. But I also would like to put some modifications in there too. What are some good ways to push more power out of these engines without spending thousands? Im thinking maybe headers and a cam or something, but i dont know enough about it yet.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I wouldn't bother doing a cam without doing heads first. You'll never take advantage of it no matter how big. More of a budget? Shorty headers, 2.5" free flow after, cotton filter, 1.7s. You'll feel that for sure

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
I wouldn't bother doing a cam without doing heads first. You'll never take advantage of it no matter how big. More of a budget? Shorty headers, 2.5" free flow after, cotton filter, 1.7s. You'll feel that for sure
I have no idea what any of that means.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have no idea what any of that means.

You have no idea what any of that mens?
Yet you think you have the knowledge to open up the engine and put in a new cam? :insane:

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
You have no idea what any of that mens?
Yet you think you have the knowledge to open up the engine and put in a new cam? :insane:
Yeah I do, buddy. He used a couple abbreviations that I never heard of. I FIX Cars. Not drop in performance parts. Sorry I don't know the name of every performance part on the face of this earth.

Edit: I withdraw my F-Bomb. But the rest still stands.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah I do, buddy. He used a couple abbreviations that I never heard of. I FIX Cars. Not drop in performance parts. Sorry I don't know the name of every performance part on the face of this earth.

Edit: I withdraw my F-Bomb. But the rest still stands.

Well then by all means go for it.:worship:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Shorty headers
2.5" free flow exhaust from headers to tailpipes (high flow cat, straight through muffler)
1.7 ratio Roller Rockers
Cotton air filter

Imma add a tune to that list as well

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Shorty headers
2.5" free flow exhaust from headers to tailpipes (high flow cat, straight through muffler)
1.7 ratio Roller Rockers
Cotton air filter

Imma add a tune to that list as well
Ive got a Flowmaster Super 44 and a 14x3 air filter on there as is, will that work?

Who does good tuning? I know its not cheap.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Ive got a Flowmaster Super 44 and a 14x3 air filter on there as is, will that work?

Who does good tuning? I know its not cheap.

The muffler will work, nothing inherently wrong with it.

It's my opinion that if you can pickup a magnaflow for a good price you can make your truck sound leagues better than with flowmaster.

My opinion is worth about three cents ;)

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Why go with a tune? Research "death flash" for the Magnum engine and you'll see why. As someone here has perfectly said, it "takes your power out back and Old Yellers it."

Dumping the death flash and swapping in "cooler" spark plugs (Autolite 3923 comes to mind) is arguably the best money you can spend to make these engines run like they should.

Of course, if you're going to get a tune, may as well swap out the other stuff (cam, intake, exhaust,) before doing so since the tune costs about the same with all of that factored in and re-tunes can get pricey.

That's the only real reason why I haven't bought a tune for mine yet. I'm trying to get everything prepped for it and when I'm done, maybe I can run alongside the 3-valve, over-head cam, 5.4 Triton that my sister sports in her F-150. ;)

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
port and polish on heads and intake and tune are amazing. doing a cam will go good with that. headers would be next on the list.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
The muffler will work, nothing inherently wrong with it.

It's my opinion that if you can pickup a magnaflow for a good price you can make your truck sound leagues better than with flowmaster.

My opinion is worth about three cents ;)

I had a magnaflow with a hole in it and some crappy welds. Sold it to a guy at my work for $12. Got it for free.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Why go with a tune? Research "death flash" for the Magnum engine and you'll see why. As someone here has perfectly said, it "takes your power out back and Old Yellers it."

Dumping the death flash and swapping in "cooler" spark plugs (Autolite 3923 comes to mind) is arguably the best money you can spend to make these engines run like they should.

Of course, if you're going to get a tune, may as well swap out the other stuff (cam, intake, exhaust,) before doing so since the tune costs about the same with all of that factored in and re-tunes can get pricey.

That's the only real reason why I haven't bought a tune for mine yet. I'm trying to get everything prepped for it and when I'm done, maybe I can run alongside the 3-valve, over-head cam, 5.4 Triton that my sister sports in her F-150. ;)

FlyinRyan canned tunes are designed for any stock truck or full bolt on. No re-tuning necessary unless you start doing cam and head work or stroker or boost. Edge is basic tunes, nothing custom.

I have the full exhaust intake and larger tb with a FRP m1 canned tune and i can more than hang with those 5.4s. I can beat 08ish 5.3s