What do I need to know about my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cookie Monster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
Hi all, third post on the forum!
A little background on me, I do not know a whole lot about specific things to do with anything mechanical, I know basics. I know types of engines, how they work, types of trucks, basics on trucks, etc. i don't know detailed things about vehicles but I am trying to learn, so bear with me here. I know what things are called and I know what they do, I just don't know how or why they do it, if that makes sense.
I want to know any information that can be provided about my own truck, based on anything anyone knows whether they be someone who has owned the same truck, or to someone who has worked on them.
I have a 2001 1500 single cab, with a 5.2 magnum v8. Everything is stock except for my exhaust which the previous owner did some work on. I believe he put a magnaflow on it (I do not know the type at all, I'm still trying to get info on it) and that is cut off right after my cab.

A few things I'm particularly curious about
1: louder. How to make it louder without causing any damage or doing something that could mess something up
2: better fuel mileage, it's standard, on 16" tires with no lift at the moment. I plan on lifting it 3" which I know will lower my mpg, but what can I do to make it better despite the lift?
3:are there any things I should watch out that may be going out ( I know some people say dodge trannies are bad, I've never had a problem with one, but should I be watching it?)
4:more power. I am going to be hauling animals ( hogs) within the next few months. I won't be pulling insane amounts of weight, but it will probably be 100-300 pounds along with the weight from a 16 foot flat trailer, is my truck already enough for this or should I consider something bigger.
5:best options to keep my truck running well. I am at 125k miles or so and the oil ad fluids have been changed about every 3-5k, at least that's what the owner said,and I changed it at 122k.
Lastly, I have an air conditioner hose leak somewhere. My AC works fine unless I have to floor the gas to get going like on a hill or something, when I hit the gas hard my AC completely shuts out, and when I release the gas about halfway or lower it comes back. How do I find the leak, and what do I need to do to replace it, completely get new hoses? Or can I use some sort of sealant?

Again, I'm sorry for any ignorance on my part, I do not know a whole lot. But I'm trying and that's a start.