What does your temp gauge usually run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
What's up guys? Just got back into a "new to me" ram. It's a 1997 1500 sport with a 318. The truck is very clean and has been extremely well maintained and overall I'm very happy with it. I do have one question for everyone.. Where does your coolant temp gauge generally run? I had noticed that mine will run around 205-210, but will even get up to around 220 and come back down. I put a new mopar t-stat and coolant temp sensor in it today and I'm seeing essentially the same thing. I'm just curious as to what everyone else is seeing in there trucks. I'm a mechanic myself and this just seemed a little higher than I was used to in the 2013 ram 4.7L that I previously owned. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks again!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Here in iowa winter i haven't seen mine reach even 180 yet. Even in summer ive only seen it hit 205 a few times in 100 degree heat. But i run a 180 tstat too

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I'm running the 195 stat and mine never gets that high

OP
OP
SmokeycoonhoundUT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I'm gonna give my fan clutch a look in the morning and see if it's getting weak. It's not like it's overheating but it's def a tad abnormal

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
180 tstat, usually run under 200 degrees during the cooler weather, was able to find a 8 blade fan that really beats the Texas heat.

Highest truck ever got was 215, stock clutch fan, middle of the Texas summer, middle of the day, running the AC, sitting in highway traffic. 220 seems high, I'd look at a good fan and new clutch.

I believe this is the fan 2003 Dodge Ram Truck Radiator Cooling Fan Blade

With a stock clutch bolted on.

Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
This has nothing to do with the t-stat. My truck ran like crap with a colder t-stat which kept my temp around 175 F, like it wanted to warm itself up more. Put in the stock 195 and now it runs perfectly. Changing the t-stat to a colder one would only be a band-aid over the underlying problem here.

Sounds like you might have air in the system, and a coolant flush may be a good idea if you haven't done one already. Parking the truck uphill so that the radiator cap is higher than the rest of the cooling system helps burp it.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP that does seem a bit high. Have you checked the fan clutch? One of my little RT's would roll up past 210 sitting in Florida traffic and it was the clutch fan going out. You know how to check it I'm sure. Agree with Sport too- she may need a burp.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
205+ is NOT normal.

More info is needed to properly diagnose further.

Does it creep up to 220 when sitting at idle, or does it do it as well while the truck is moving?
Do you have decent heat coming out of the vents inside the truck?
What's the temp like where you're located?
Did you perform a coolant flush at all when doing the thermostat, or just a top off?
If you flushed it, did you use 50/50 mixed or concentrate coolant?
If concentrate, how many gallons were put in the radiator?

If you have poor heat output inside, then there's several things to consider.

1) Clog somewhere. If something is blocking the coolant from circulating, obviously it will run hotter.

2) Water pump. The internals of these water pumps are made of plastic. Eventually they'll wear down, and although still function properly, won't be able to circulate the coolant as quickly as a new water pump can. Many people go through the headache or replacing a heater core inside before replacing the water pump, then cuss up a major storm when that doesn't solve the problem. Ask me how I know.

3) As stated, air in the system, or low coolant.

If you have proper heat inside the cab:

1) As stated, fan clutch.

2) Faulty gauge or wiring is a possibility, although a little unlikely.

There's more possibilities, but again, it's not normal to run that high. Get it checked out and fixed before you warp/crack a head on these already prone engines.

Jrock2394

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
What's up guys? Just got back into a "new to me" ram. It's a 1997 1500 sport with a 318. The truck is very clean and has been extremely well maintained and overall I'm very happy with it. I do have one question for everyone.. Where does your coolant temp gauge generally run? I had noticed that mine will run around 205-210, but will even get up to around 220 and come back down. I put a new mopar t-stat and coolant temp sensor in it today and I'm seeing essentially the same thing. I'm just curious as to what everyone else is seeing in there trucks. I'm a mechanic myself and this just seemed a little higher than I was used to in the 2013 ram 4.7L that I previously owned. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks again!

Mine does the same exact thing as yours. According to my scan gauge while the dial says 205, scan gauge says its at 184.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Attachments

• 0119161446-00.jpg
    0119161446-00.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 47

916king916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Mine runs same as above. Not sure what t stat I have though

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
Mine runs the same as above photo new t stat [195] new radiator,new fan clutch,new hoses,new water inlet,heater core. 01 5.9 [360 gas] auto. Before i changed those thing it never went past the half way mark.