What to improve on a 5.2/318

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
So, heres the break down. Stock 318/5.2 K&N cold air and filter charger and a turbo muffler run through stock pipes and cats. I got 3.5 gears in a limited slip rear diff and I am 2 wheel drive.
What I want is to tow the a car trailer every so often(once every two months maybe) and have more torque when I step down on the loud pedle. Now I know what I'd do if it was a chevy, but I'd like to hear from you guys what needs to be improved first, i.e. True duel exhaust, TB spacer, better dist and spark. Where would you guys start??

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
NO! on the throttle body spacer. With our kegger syle intakes they serve no purpose.

1. K&N or CAI (you already got this
2. Exhaust don't need true dual just something to open the air flow some more
3 Gears for towing I would look at 4:10s
4. Unfortunately my next suggestion would be a programmer, but for 96 they don't have one.
4.1 So to replace that I would just do basic tuneup stuff. I will let others suggest what to get as I know our gen of trucks are picky with what spark plugs they like

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want to tow, I highly suggest getting a nice set of long tubes, they help increase torque across the board. You don't need true dual exhaust, but it is fun. A single 3" system will flow far more than a normally aspirated 5.2 will need.

An open intake of some sort will be beneficial. I suggest a couple of electric fans to replace the factory clutch fan.

I agree with making sure it's in good operating condition. Get a new cap/rotor (brass contacts) nice plug wires (7MM is perfectly fine) and COPPER CORE plugs, none of that platinum crap, just plain old Copper. I always use the NGK V-powers (I've had somewhere around 14 Magnum motors) with good luck.

I never had a '96, if you can replace the fuel filter, do that too!

Make sure your throttle body is nice and clean, and check to assure that your plenum gasket isn't leaking.

I also very much agree on more aggressive gears for towing. Switching to 4.56s in my '00 made a night and day difference (I was also running 34" tires)

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
4.56 gears is what i would do if i was gonna tow.

you cannt change the fuel filter. it is on the pump inside the tank. i mean you can but might as well change pump too if you are gonna do that.

OP
OP
Hotroder383

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, what I was thinking of other than a good tune was, how do these engines respond to timeing changes? Is the dist worth keeping with a wake up kit i.e. new cap, rotor and super coil.
How about an MSD 6A? Would the computer allow this or give me probs. They do make a jet perfromce chip form them in 2 diff stages JET Performance 90002 JET Power Control Modules for Dodge/Jeep is this worth the money?
Thank you for the headers I may do just that as I am running single 2.5 with a new muffler right now. Might see about useing factory cats and split for a true duel but keep it at 2 1/2" .
I have the MSD layin around from an old race car but as I have never messed with these trucks before I wanted some info before tearing into it. =)

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
My buddy had a JET chip on his, couldn't tell a difference. Of course he was lifted alot and huge tires so that may have been it

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran an MSD 6A on my '95 Dakota 5.2. It seemed to be a touch better on the top end, otherwise I couldn't really tell it was on there. I think my mileage might have increased a touch.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Jet chip= cow chip.

I'd go for the SCT tuner. Hemifever sells them and he has good rep on these.

OP
OP
Hotroder383

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm thats what I was worried about with the chip, would prob have to do all of the above plus a 180 thermostat to see any real gains and then I gota run 93 oct gas.
How do I get ahold of Hemifever? I dont see a search option can someone point me to a link? <gonna poke around also>
Guess I'll start with the tune up and check the plem for a leak and go from there, keep you guys posted on imprvments.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Is your truck OBD II or I? most programmers only work on the OBD II

OP
OP
Hotroder383

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I if I am not mistaken, hell tell the truth I never really looked just took it for granted. LOL I'll look today and get some pics, I am pretty sure it's one so a tuner wont work but a replacement chip would if it would be worth the moeny

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
No one said it but the plenum is another thing that should be fixed.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Is your truck OBD II or I? most programmers only work on the OBD II

Isn't pretty much any vehicle 94 or newer OBD2. Making everything 2nd gen or newer OBD2. OBD 1 was not that useful IMO.

Not saying there is a tuner but should have OBD2.

$miley

Gord.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
94 and 95 are OBD I, later trucks are OBD II, though i've heard that 96 is a weird year for tuning and some tuners won't work, no personal experience with the 96s though.
Gord.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
94 and 95 are OBD I, later trucks are OBD II, though i've heard that 96 is a weird year for tuning and some tuners won't work, no personal experience with the 96s though.
Gord.

Wow I learn something everyday.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
yep, 96 and up obd2

OP
OP
Hotroder383

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm ok. Looked up the plenum isse and will prob fix that with the tune up this weekend hopefully anyway. Think I'll pass on the tuner for now but since it is a OBDII then I know I cant play with timeing and such as comp will throw a fit.

OP
OP
Hotroder383

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so yesterday I did a quick look under the dash for the OBDII plug and it's not there. I asked a buddy at the parts store and he said 1998 and up is when they all went OBDII I should have the OBDI in my truck yet. On 10 hour days at work so not much time to mess with it and hoenstly just told we are working saturday so I may not even get to it this weekend. Damn the luck!!