What's a good battery to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The interstate battery in my truck seems to be getting a little weak, and it's 7+ years old. I wanted an Optima but started reading that the quality is hit or miss since they moved to Mexico. Want something U.S. made ideally.

Any suggestions? I want something nice, but hopefully under $200. Don't think I need a deep cycle because I don't run any accessories without the engine running. I occasionally have to start my truck in sub-zero temps so having a powerful battery is definitely important.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, the local battery shop here offers a few grades of batteries with the highest grade for our application offered for $120 with 1,000 cold cranking amps. They put their stickers on them but I'm told that the batteries are made by Exide.

I didn't buy one from them earlier this year and instead bought a Super Start from O'Reilly's for more money and less CCA because I'm an idiot and regret the decision every time I have to start the truck in below freezing temperatures. It has gotten to the point on a few occasions that I'm unsure if the battery will have enough capacity for a second winter. I'm actually planning on replacing it with a 1,000 CCA battery and new starter before next winter because f*** cold-starting in Iowa winters.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Advance auto 850cca use a coupon.
Where did you find a 1000 I would think that would be awesome too.

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
I recently got an Autozone Duralast Gold 94r series for close to 50% off...I used the Autozone price matching policy to my advantage...I went to the local farm n fleet and took a pic of their brand gold series 94r battery priced @ 92.99...Then drove to Autozone 3 min down the road, and showed the cashier girl the pic and asked if they still did price matching....YEP...The autozone battery had a much higher 800 ca/950cca/140 reserve than the FnF battery...So I walked out with a $187.00 battery for $92.99 + tx...I kept the Mopar oem (JUNK) battery for a backup...

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Well, the local battery shop here offers a few grades of batteries with the highest grade for our application offered for $120 with 1,000 cold cranking amps. They put their stickers on them but I'm told that the batteries are made by Exide.

I didn't buy one from them earlier this year and instead bought a Super Start from O'Reilly's for more money and less CCA because I'm an idiot and regret the decision every time I have to start the truck in below freezing temperatures. It has gotten to the point on a few occasions that I'm unsure if the battery will have enough capacity for a second winter. I'm actually planning on replacing it with a 1,000 CCA battery and new starter before next winter because f*** cold-starting in Iowa winters.

Try one of these. I only plug mine in at 0*f or lower...In the morning the truck starts like it does in the summer...80watt works for me...

Attachments

• $_3.jpg
    $_3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 95

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
From my experience Interstate batteries have been the most reliable and highest CCA for the money.

I bought a group size 34 interstate battery for my Cherokee, it was $77 at Costco and had 850 CCA. lowest temp it has ever seen was high 20's and it started my Jeep better than my 3 year old Autozone battery did in the summer. . .

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
From what I have heard there are 3 manufactures in the US that makes batteries, Johnson Controlls also makes Interstate batteries, and Costco's Kirkland battery--as well as several other brands. Johnson Controls is the largest battery maker in the US, by far.
The other two companies making auto batteries in The US are Exide and Delphi (formerly Delco).
Most batteries are made in the US.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
From what I have heard there are 3 manufactures in the US that makes batteries, Johnson Controlls also makes Interstate batteries, and Costco's Kirkland battery--as well as several other brands. Johnson Controls is the largest battery maker in the US, by far.

The other two companies making auto batteries in The US are Exide and Delphi (formerly Delco).

Most batteries are made in the US.

Yup there are about 3 main players and all others are either smaller or a label variation of one the main three.

Usually batteries vary a bit by warranty and out put but you can tell who made it by how they look.
1. Johnson Controls (JCI)
2. East Penn/ Deka
3. Exide

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I recently got an Autozone Duralast Gold 94r series for close to 50% off...I used the Autozone price matching policy to my advantage...I went to the local farm n fleet and took a pic of their brand gold series 94r battery priced @ 92.99...Then drove to Autozone 3 min down the road, and showed the cashier girl the pic and asked if they still did price matching....YEP...The autozone battery had a much higher 800 ca/950cca/140 reserve than the FnF battery...So I walked out with a $187.00 battery for $92.99 + tx...I kept the Mopar oem (JUNK) battery for a backup...

Is the 94R you got AGM or standard lead acid?

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Is the 94R you got AGM or standard lead acid?

Most auto parts stores Silver & Gold series batterys are Lead-Acid...Platinum series are all the AGM type...After 30 years in the snowplowing biz, one thing you don't **** around with is battery life. Mine get ********** after 3 seasons no matter what. And I always have a spare in the truck. Alternators can also be problematic, so I kept a spare one of those in my chevys in the past too. This RAM has the dual alternator setup with somewhere around 380 amps...lol...Seems like overkill, but time will tell...I like the most available reserve power from the battery brand, and this Autozone was waaaaay higher than the Mopar oem, and the FnF...Severe Usage will eat batterys like candy, and after my first experience of having to change one out at 2a.m. during a blizzard many many years ago, you learn quickly to always be prepared....

Last edited:

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sears platinum batteries are the best. This is what offroaders are running instead of the optimas. They are AGM and 1000cca. I believe that advanced auto's platinum is the same battery as sears.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
The sears platinum batteries are the best. This is what offroaders are running instead of the optimas. They are AGM and 1000cca. I believe that advanced auto's platinum is the same battery as sears.

Sears doesn't offer a 94r Platinum series battery for the 6.4 hemi...They have 3 versions of their Gold series...The AGM is only 800cca...The other 2 are both lead acid...One has a 790cca/130 reserve...The other has 765 cca/140 reserve..

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Then they must have stopped selling them. Look up of asset batteries. That is who makes them.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oddessey

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've got 5 years + on my Optima battery. I live in So. NV so I go from 110+ degrees to below 0 when I am hunting and have never had a problem. They are quite pricey though.