Will HS 1.7 Rollers harm 5.2 140k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlackMambaXD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
After I do my plenum fix thinking I might slap in a set of Harland Sharp 1.7 rockers. Engine has 140k miles and runs fine, don't want to change that or send it to an early grave. Any thoughts? Thanks.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If you just want some more performance, consider getting a tune, side by side, you'll see more increase in performance from a tune than just a new cam.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Tune will be much more noticeable if SCT though both are great. Rockers won't negatively affect anything though

OP
OP
T

TheBlackMambaXD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Ok. Rockers would probably be as far as I would go. Fairly simple to install, (As I understand) and not to expensive. Just like I said I want my truck to last, not burn it out for a few extra ponies.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Thats the awesome thing about these Magnums, they're rock solid. The rockers are easy enough. Remove the valve covers (clean as much as you can around them first or stuff will fall in when you remove them) them you're there.

This is the bit from the service manual.
(1) Rotate the crankshaft until the “V8” mark lines up with the TDC mark on the timing chain case cover. This mark is located 147° ATDC from the No.1 firing position. (2) Install the push rods in the same order as removed. (3) Install rocker arm and pivot assemblies in the same order as removed. Tighten the rocker arm bolts to 28 N·m (21 ft. lbs.) torque.
CAUTION: DO NOT rotate or crank the engine during or immediately after rocker arm installation. Allow the hydraulic roller tappets adequate time to bleed down (about 5 minutes).

Some guys say to just tighten them down until they are snug, but i've never done it that way. Then again, most engines i've rebuilt have actual lash adjustment. I've only done a few with hydraulic lifters.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I just tightened em down to spec as they sat when i did mine. I did go back in about a week later to do gaskets (hadn't arrived in time and i was getting inpatient lol). Spun the engine around and went to properly tq everything and they were all still perfect