Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Will Not Start after Manitanance

This is a discussion on Will Not Start after Manitanance within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!

Like Tree1Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make your head spin
Engine: Magnum 360
The numbers on the keyway are specific.

Position keyway into pump shaft with arrow pointed to rear of pump. Also be sure 3–digit number stamped to top of keyway is same as 3–digit number stamped to injection pump data plate.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins diesal 24 valve
Gents, Thanks for all the past help. Had to take a break from the truck but we are back trying to get it working

My son pulled the injector pump out again and found the key to be a bit buggered up. So, we are looking to replace the key. The pump part # is R5019658AD and that comes up as a Mopar part number. The general part number for the key is 5013000AA. Then there are specific key part numbers where the last two zeros are replace (ex. 5013026AA). I assume the last two number equate to what is physically stamped on the key. My key has 025 stamped on it. There is no Cummins dealer in the area only a Dodge Ram dealership. The Ram dealer said there is no 5013025AA in the system.
Also there is no key number stamped on the pump itself.

My question is do the last two numbers correspond to the stamped key number or is it something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
eastbayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins diesal 24 valve
Had to take a break for work but I am back trying to start my sons truck again with no luck as yet.

Now when I try to start the engine I am getting white smoke out of the exhaust. Is the white smoke progress???
eastbayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make your head spin
Engine: Magnum 360
Smoke is something burning. Oil usually.

As far as the key goes, unless you get one of their techs that knows anything about diesels, you are talking to a brick wall. No offense to them, but they just aren't trained to know anything about them.

Sometimes the key number is stamped into the keyway on the shaft.

To get a replacement key contact Pensacola Diesel, they do full rebuilds and have the vp44 pump keys in stock. They will be able to tell you exactly where to look and how to do the install over the phone. They will also send you a new key for a decent price. Some people dont like their work, but the keys are pretty foolproof.

Just make sure you take care when installing the pump to get everything lined up properly. It may take a couple minutes of cranking to get everything running properly. Well at least on the Cummins that go in the Semis after a full rebuild.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote