wont run so frustrating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lumpus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
So I have a 98 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 magnum. Thing sat for like 2 or 3 years got it real cheap. 101k miles. Charged the battery and it started perfect ran for about 2 mins and studderd and died. Put fresh fuel in it cleaned the tank replaced the fuel pump temp sender spark plugs tps still does the same thing put my scanner on it and it says its still to cold to use the o2 sensor even though its above 100 degrees usually when it starts to studder. I'm at my wits end with this thing. Any ideas. Was thinkin might need a the pcm to be updated but idk.

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
Did you flush out all the fuel lines? I would try spraying a cleaner in the TB. The idle circuit may be gummed up. Will it stay running with a few shots of starter fluid?

OP
OP
L

lumpus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
Did you flush out all the fuel lines? I would try spraying a cleaner in the TB. The idle circuit may be gummed up. Will it stay running with a few shots of starter fluid?

Yea I flushed the fuel line when I put the new fuel pump in. it would run for a while if I kinda babied the throttle a bit. Took the tb of to clean it and the iac was pretty dirty then I tryed to actuate the plunger and it was really hard and kinda felt like it had a hard spot in it. Is it supposed to move freely.

JET

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
1996/2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.9 Magnum/Hemi 5.7
My 96 did the same thing. Turns out the battery was no good. I changed it and now it runs like a champ now. I've had this happen twice to me now.

OP
OP
L

lumpus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
My 96 did the same thing. Turns out the battery was no good. I changed it and now it runs like a champ now. I've had this happen twice to me now.
Ill get a new battery see if that works. But ima be so mad if its that simple I've been pullin my hair out for a month now trying to figure it out lol
What's the actual P code in the system?

No codes which is why I was so puzzled. I'm usually really good at trouble shooting so this was obnoxios

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Well you need a few thing to make it run...

Fuel... It the rail got good fuel pressure?
Spark... Is the main coil wire giving a good spark?
Air/Compression... Is the cylinders in good condition (compression test)?

On the spark side double check all the electrical rotor, distributor, etc. Makes sure the arc isn't jumping to ground somewhere. Like I've seen where rotors burn out and the arc jump though to the distributor shaft. No joke.

Being the fuel system on these truck don't have a serviceable fuel filter you might double check the fuel pressure in the rail make sure its pumping good.