Worn pinion bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nemopoppins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big, like 350?
After being without a vehicle for about five years, I just bought a 2000 Ram truck. I love the utility and freedom, but I believe the pinion bearings are worn (whirring sound upon accelerating that I looked up online). How major of a job is that? Btw, the engine is in great shape and passed the California smog with flying colors even with 190,000 miles. I hope to continue to enjoy Delilah, the Lady Dodge, for a long time.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Best to have a professional do that if it's your only vehicle and you need it. Quicker, more reliable, and probably cheaper in the long run.

Where is the whirring coming from? Can you tell?

Meatball12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with dapepper9
I recently replaced my pinion and carrier bearings myself and it was a VERY involved and meticulous process.

If you have the money I strongly suggest having it done professionally. I was short on money and long on time so I decided to do it myself. It took me 3 full days, alot of cursing and not enough beer.

OP
OP
Nemopoppins

Nemopoppins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big, like 350?
Oh wow. I'm short on time AND money. Well, since I'm working two full time jobs for the next two months, even though I have access to space and tools to do my own work, it looks like I will take it in. Thanks for the advice. How much damage do you think I'd be doing to continue to drive it, limited use, for a bit?

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Oh wow. I'm short on time AND money. Well, since I'm working two full time jobs for the next two months, even though I have access to space and tools to do my own work, it looks like I will take it in. Thanks for the advice. How much damage do you think I'd be doing to continue to drive it, limited use, for a bit?

I don't think it'll be horrible if you absolutely have to. But I would try to get it done within 100 miles with no towing

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Are you sure it's the pinion bearing? Did you check the u-joints? You might take the drive-line off and check to see if there is any side to side play in the yoke.
If it is the pinion bearing I would definitely take it in to have it done.

Meatball12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
100 miles is a little conservative but no harm playing it safe.

When mine started to make noise it got worse exponentially over about a 2 week period. So just listen to it and don't push it too hard.

OP
OP
Nemopoppins

Nemopoppins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big, like 350?
Thanks for the advice. It's good to be part of a truck forum again. I will be taking it to a shop in a couple of weeks and I'll let you know how it went.