Yes another 5.2 to 5.9 (gas swap) Lots off Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joker_fly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Been Searching but need to get final checks =)
Truck 2001 ram 4x4 auto 1500 5.2
Donner, 5.9 Durango Auto 4x4 1998 or 1999 not sure
Not Swapping tranny´s!

As i understand both have the 46re tranny so no issue there as long as the flex plates follow each engine ? = simple bolt out bolt in swap, engine mounts are the same and all sensors
Wrong or Right ?

No need to Change Ecu ? better to flash them? Will be getting the Sct tuner

Will change cam and do plenum fix when swapping engine any thing else one should do when having engine on stands 360 engine ?

Any Tips and recommendations are appreciated
Regards Joker From Sweden

Eliwab22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Been Searching but need to get final checks =)

Truck 2001 ram 4x4 auto 1500 5.2

Donner, 5.9 Durango Auto 4x4 1998 or 1999 not sure

Not Swapping tranny´s!

As i understand both have the 46re tranny so no issue there as long as the flex plates follow each engine ? = simple bolt out bolt in swap, engine mounts are the same and all sensors

Wrong or Right ?

No need to Change Ecu ? better to flash them? Will be getting the Sct tuner

Will change cam and do plenum fix when swapping engine any thing else one should do when having engine on stands 360 engine ?

Any Tips and recommendations are appreciated

Regards Joker From Sweden

I just finished my 5.2-5.9 swap in my truck (98 ram 1500 2wd) all the connections on the harness were the same and the mounts were the same for me. Not sure about the Durango or 4wd but it was a pretty easy swap.

I'm using the stock 5.2 computer right now and she runs pretty great. I would suggest doing an oil pan gasket while you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You'll be fine. The engines are the same harness and mount wise. You will need the PCM from the 5.9 or it will forever run lean, and worse than it should, a tune would fix that however with the PCM you currently have and give you a nice performance boost.

The trans are the same. Make sure you use the flexplate from the 5.9 on the 5.9 when you put it in your truck.

Since you have the 4x4, do the oil pan gasket, its easy on the 2wd trucks, and possible on the 4x4s, just not easy.

Its also a good time to do the plenum, cap and rotor. DO NOT ROTATE THE DISTRIBUTOR. you will throw off the fuel sync and have to get it reset at a dealer or shop that has a DRBIII scantool.

As far as other things to do, if you have the money and want to replace the heads, it will never be easier. If the engine has more than 180K miles, i'd recommend changing the oil pump as well. Its not a common thing to go out, but its common enough, and a pain to do in the truck. If you're replacing the pan gasket already, the oil pump is right there.

When you go to pull the engine, I recommend pulling the engine and trans as one. Otherwise you have to support the transmission from underneath and unbolt the bellhousing in the trans tunnel. Its possible if you pull the intake first, but its tight, and some of the bolts might be hard to get a good angle on unless you have swivel head ratchets.

I pulled my engine and trans together, it was pretty easy, just remove the radiator and support member and you can get it out without removing the bumper, it tight but possible. You will need 2 or 3 people when putting it back in, one underneath to guide the slip yoke on the driveshaft back into the transmission and two up top sliding the engine in. You will need a load leveler, you will not get it without one.

OP
OP
J

joker_fly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thanks guys!

Looking like I got what I needed:)

Oil pan gasket
Oil pump
Plenum fix
Rotor cap
Timing chain and gears

New cam but that's a hole new topic :)

OP
OP
J

joker_fly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Could i use the tranny from the durango to ? or is something not the same ?
Its shifts so nice and mine dosent...

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Yeah, you can use the trans, some of the sensors inside might not be compatible due to it being a 98-99 and will need to be changed, Dapepper would know for sure.

OP
OP
J

joker_fly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
on his recommendation im staying with the stock trans