Zero bottom end.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ok so my 99 1500 with the 360 is a **** for power.....it has no bottom end. Plenum kit is done. I keep getting a code from my second o2 sensor too. What gives?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rear O2 sensor simply monitors catalytic converter efficiency. Is the cat plugged up?

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The cat is gutted....done before I got it. Had a blown plenum and no one fixed it til I got it. It also has the dealer pcm flash I hear is bad news but can it be that bad? The wifes 5.4 Ford absolutley embarrasses this 360....my 31899 Dakota ran better. Something I am going to check tomorrow is if the plugs are oil fouled from all the oil it sucked up with that gasket out.

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
And the code says its below it's efficiency threshold. I forget the code #PO420 I think it is.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the only way to fix the death flash is to get a tuner...myself personally, I dont really care for gutting cats. That code is more than likely just a result of running a gutted cat, you could go pick up a spark plug non fouler and install it on the rear o2 sensor and see it that helps.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Yep. I would say since the cat is gutted you're going to get that code. So as specified above pick up an o2 non fouler and that'll fix that problem. Also. How is the exhaust setup? Straight piped? Not sure but I think the lack of back pressure would cause low low end torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Right now its straight to a flowmaster one into two muffler with no tails. I have to go get a set made as the old ones were rotted off but it does have a muffler.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Really odd... I'm gutty kitty too... Stock muffler and tail pipe and no codes... Let me look up the code and diagnostics for it because I'm sure there is another reason for it.

No codes here! Getting 16-17 MPG and runs great...

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
The cat is gutted....done before I got it. Had a blown plenum and no one fixed it til I got it. It also has the dealer pcm flash I hear is bad news but can it be that bad? The wifes 5.4 Ford absolutley embarrasses this 360....my 31899 Dakota ran better. Something I am going to check tomorrow is if the plugs are oil fouled from all the oil it sucked up with that gasket out.

Welll...the 5.4 is rated at a higher hp and tq and I believe is a lighter truck. Your Dakota is probably a good 1800 lbs lighter, so there's no rocket science as to why both are faster/quicker.

Dealer flashes vary from pcm to pcm, most do retard the timiing to get rid of high rpm pinging. These trucks have no knock sensors so that can be a problem.

I guess I'm not aware of any other mods you have but large tires and lazy gears really kill the low end on these trucks.

I'm also not a fan of gutted cats either. 360's /5.9s like a bit of backpressure when driven on the street. Gutting a cat works great if you're racing or running at highway rpms or better a lot.

Mopar1973Man runs a ful single system which if stock is 2.5 inch pipe. My belief is that's the best system for low/mid range torque efficiency.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Forgot to mention the 5.4 is in an Expedition lol .....its a boat. This 360 is just lazy till about 2800that and then it clears up and goes. It almost has a miss....again thinking it needs plugs.

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These trucks also have their top torque band in the 3 grand area I beleive.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
All gasoline engines tend to create more TQ up near the redline area. Basically from the fact gasoline has lower BTU's and very flashy fuel hence why when you add octane booster to the fuel it burns a bit slower and reduces the pre-ignition. This is why typically place see a slight gain to running higher octane fuels over 87 octane.

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Well I did find something that helped....pulled the father in laws boat tonight and it cleared alot of the running issues up. I'm going to hook the dump trailer to it later this week and give it a workout and see what happens.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tune up? My mustang(2000 3.8 auto vert) had absolutely no power(I swear it took like a mile to go from 0-60, my mom's pt cruiser was faster) but after a tune up it has a lot more balls(although still not enough)

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Its quite a bit better now I changed plugs. The Champions I put in were. 40 gap according to what it called for.....the ones I took out were eroded and had probably. 80 gap.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado