01 1500 5.9. stop lamp and hazards fuse keeps blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmarquis15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so things work fine for a min and rhen all of a sudden the brake lights and the hazards fuse under hood blow i have taken everything apart and van not figure out what is causing it any ideas j know theres a wire hitting ground but damn where

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You'll be looking for a short on the supply side of the stop lamps. If you have a digital multimeter you can diagnose this pretty easily. Compared to visually inspecting everything. What you'll do is check for voltage at the fuse holder when the fuse is pulled. Whichever reads no voltage is the lighting side, that is what we're going to probe.

First, leave the brake pedal alone and put the DMM in continuity mode, then probe from the side of the fuse holder that read no voltage, to ground. If there is continuity then the short is currently active, you'll have to start shaking the wiring under the dash and see if it stops. That is how you're going to have to track it down. If you can't get it to act up then you're likely looking for something past the brake switch.

If that's the case you'll have to Jam the brake pedal down or have someone step on it while you check out the wiring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01