1995 Dodge Speedometer not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movindirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So the speedometer quit working on my 95' Dodge 3500 Cummins 4wd a couple weeks ago, parked the truck then because it also needed brake work, well, finally got time to pull the brakes apart and got to looking at the back axle, from what I have read online irrc the sensor on the back axle controls the speedometer? It was unplugged.. the sensor and the plug both are full of dirt and stuff, should I try and clean them both out or just put a new plug and sensor on?

Attachments

• 20141125_203926.jpg
    20141125_203926.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 458

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would clean it first and if there is still no change, replace it. Cleaning is free lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
94-97 get the speedo reading from the VSS. The one you are working with is for the RWABS; REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR

From for 96 FSM

VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a' pulse generator mounted to an adapter near the transmission output shaft. The sensor Is driven through the adapter by a speedometer pinion gear. The VSS pulse signal to the speedometer/odometer is monitored by the
PCM speed control circuitry to determine vehicle speed and to maintain speed control set speed. Refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures manual for diagnosis and testing of this component. Refer to Group 14, Fuel System for removal/installation procedures.

This is for a 4wd truck, 2wd will be in the same area less the xcase.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

movindirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
94-97 get the speedo reading from the VSS. The one you are working with is for the RWABS; REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR

From for 96 FSM

VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a' pulse generator mounted to an adapter near the transmission output shaft. The sensor Is driven through the adapter by a speedometer pinion gear. The VSS pulse signal to the speedometer/odometer is monitored by the
PCM speed control circuitry to determine vehicle speed and to maintain speed control set speed. Refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures manual for diagnosis and testing of this component. Refer to Group 14, Fuel System for removal/installation procedures.

This is for a 4wd truck, 2wd will be in the same area less the xcase.

Thanks guys!!!! I don't know how long the RWABS sensor has been unplugged, what does it do exactly? I'll check out the VSS and see what it looks like.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Without that plugged in you have no rear ABS, our years ABS system sucks and many just disconnect it instead of fixing it. Clean up the plug and the sensor, connect them together and see what codes you get if any.