1999 Dodge RAM Speedo not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srv010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magunum
Hi, My 99 RAM 1500 Quad cab speedometer and odometer are not working and have not worked since I have owned it 1 1/2 years. Had it scanned and it told me that the rear abs sensor or the wiring were bad , so I replaced rear sensor with no luck, then checked the wire what I could as it goes behind the fuel tank. so I replaced the wire all the way to the driver's left front wheel well. It still didn't work. my next step is to replace the ABS Box on driver's side inner fender. any other ideas? Thanks ahead of time!

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Don't replace the abs box. It could be the motor/gear behind your dash if you replaced wire and wheel speed sensor in Axle

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Run the gauge cluster "self check."

To do this, hold the reset button/knob thingy next to the odometer and continue to hold it down while you turn the power on. Continue holding it and the word "CHEC" will appear in the odometer. Now release the button and the cluster will check itself.

Take note of the odometer. Every "blip" on the screen should click on and off one at a time.

Afterwards, the cluster will run a sweep test of the gauges. Every needle will rise to about one third, then hold. Then they will rise to about two thirds and hold, then they will peg and hold. Pay note to the speedometer.

If the cluster detects a problem with something at any time, it will display a three-digit number. If it does, WRITE IT DOWN. You'll need this to determine what is wrong.

If your speedo and/or odometer don't respond during the test, then considering that you've already replaced the ABS sensor and wiring, you may be looking at having to replace the cluster itself. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

srv010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magunum
Hi, I did the cluster check twice and the speedo never moved. the cluster never displayed any 3 digit number either time. so I guess I will be getting a cluster next. will update then.
Thanks for the help!!!

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If possible, try to get one from a scrapped or part-out truck. Brand new units are mucho dinero. Just make sure that the tach matches what you have. The diesel clusters are the same but the tach has much lower numerical marks. If your gasser is running 2,000 RPM, the tach will show 1,200 or something, LOL.

OP
OP
S

srv010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magunum
Hey. I replaced the cluster from a pick and pull here in NC. and THANKS A LOT !! it works great and only $26.00 for it. Thanks all!!

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
What's part number for wheel speed sensor wire and where does it plug in at the cab? I have new sensor and dash check works but speedo won't show how fast I go