2001 Ram Van stereo problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M6onz5a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After reading online about all the sound issues that I am experiencing I couldn't find where the amplifier is in my van. So, I decided to bypass the amp And run wires directly to my speakers in the doors. After figuring out which wires are which I ran the wires straight to the speakers and wouldn't you know it I still did not have sound! I put my meter on the speakers to get an ohm reading and they read nothing. I took an old speaker that I had sitting around and hook the wires up to it and I had sound!

I've never seen a stereo kill all four speakers in a stereo system. I have an aftermarket Jensen stereo that has intermittently giving me problems for years

Weird

By the way, where is the amplifier for my stereo system in my van?

Thanks!

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I do not know where the amp is in your van, however you should test each channel on that jensen head unit with the old speaker you have sitting around.

I recently brought a brand new HU and after many hours of aggravation I decided to test it with a battery and an external speaker I had. It turned out none of my channels on the brand new HU worked.

Make sure you have all those connections connected to the proper colors and negatives, I can only see this as a wiring issue if all channels work on a speaker outside of your van.

OP
OP
M

M6onz5a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's only working outside of the van because I cut the adapter harness and wired the speakers directly to the stereo bypassing the amp

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Perhaps I misread your original post. Correct me if I am wrong, you said you already bypassed the factory amp in the van by running from head unit directly to speakers?

"So, I decided to bypass the amp And run wires directly to my speakers in the doors. After figuring out which wires are which I ran the wires straight to the speakers"

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Did these vans come with the Infinity sound system? If they did, and yours has it, you made one hell of a mess. If not, then run new wires anyway, why do a job if you're only going to half do it and not run the wires. FYI, make sure the wire for the left and right channels match. I dont know if it matters in automotive, but in residential it causes weird underwater dampen effects if they aren't the same length.

I would try pulling the head unit and hooking it up to a couple speakers outside the van and see if it blows them open circuit. If its an aftermarket setup, it may have way overpowered the speakers and blew them cold. Buddy of mine did that to his factory speakers before he put the new ones in. 50W RMS on a 12W RMS speaker is really anticlimactic.

OP
OP
M

M6onz5a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perhaps I misread your original post. Correct me if I am wrong, you said you already bypassed the factory amp in the van by running from head unit directly to speakers?

"So, I decided to bypass the amp And run wires directly to my speakers in the doors. After figuring out which wires are which I ran the wires straight to the speakers"
Yes. But after I determined the speakers were bad I just used the existing wiring and hooked my new speakers up to them. Everything is working fine now

OP
OP
M

M6onz5a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did these vans come with the Infinity sound system? If they did, and yours has it, you made one hell of a mess. If not, then run new wires anyway, why do a job if you're only going to half do it and not run the wires. FYI, make sure the wire for the left and right channels match. I dont know if it matters in automotive, but in residential it causes weird underwater dampen effects if they aren't the same length.

I would try pulling the head unit and hooking it up to a couple speakers outside the van and see if it blows them open circuit. If its an aftermarket setup, it may have way overpowered the speakers and blew them cold. Buddy of mine did that to his factory speakers before he put the new ones in. 50W RMS on a 12W RMS speaker is really anticlimactic.

I'm assuming it is the infinity sound system since the stock head unit is identical.

What hell of a mess are you talking about? All I did is tap into two wires to test one speaker.

Anyway all is good now. She has a set of Kenwood 6 x 9 speakers that's are pretty good now

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm assuming it is the infinity sound system since the stock head unit is identical.

What hell of a mess are you talking about? All I did is tap into two wires to test one speaker.

Anyway all is good now. She has a set of Kenwood 6 x 9 speakers that's are pretty good now

I was going off your post of you cutting things out and wiring things directly together and, under the impression that you had pulled/run wires to multiple speakers to try and figure it out.

I was wrong, you were smart the way you described doing it, sorry for judging you.

The reason I jumped to that conclusion is the Infinity system uses a really odd setup. The amps are on the door speakers themselves, and there is a relay unit under the dash, whos name escapes me, that can cause complete loss of sound and has nothing to do with the radio or speakers.

Glad to hear you got it working. I hate audio.

OP
OP
M

M6onz5a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't see anything is the van doors. No amps attached to the speakers either. The only wires in the doors are for the speakers and the power mirror.

Someone told me the amps are on the tweeters in the dash but I haven't confirmed that yet.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I didn't see anything is the van doors. No amps attached to the speakers either. The only wires in the doors are for the speakers and the power mirror.

Someone told me the amps are on the tweeters in the dash but I haven't confirmed that yet.

I've never had a van, but i've got the infinity speakers and the amps are on the door speakers. Nothing big, its part of the molded plastic housing, but it certainly has more than two wires.