4ft Whips WHAAAAT?!?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I was about to ask this question.

A cb antenna gets its signal off of reflecting or bouncing the signal off of a flat surface, in this case the bed. So if I were to let's say mount only the left one the signal it receives would be predominately from the right. The second covers signal from the left that way doubling my signal area. I could actually get the same effect mounting one in the dead center of the bed but that would just look goofy.

Answered on the same page^^.

99ram360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
ya i was always told if you have two only hook one up because with two of them hooked up they counteract with one another

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hoinestly you don't....you have run an out of phase co-ax cable to make them work properly, and even then they difficult to tune, and need regular checking.

Pretty easy to tune imo. Drive to cb shop and give them 10 buck :D I get it checked regularly to. Hardly ever out of tune. Most whips these days have the handy tuning screw instead of the old style chop and tune.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
hey ktm1217 is that on your cup holders? if so is it to low when you open your cup holders because thats where i wana put mine but i dont want it to be to low when i opened it. where did you mount your mic
No, my cupholders are on the floor bc i have the 5spd manual. on the automatics, where the cupholders fold out is just a CD compartment in the 5 speeds. and the mic is mounted off the sun visor mount by a bunji cord. Ill see if i can get better pics of it all for ya..

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
hey ktm1217 is that on your cup holders? if so is it to low when you open your cup holders because thats where i wana put mine but i dont want it to be to low when i opened it. where did you mount your mic
Heres some better pics of my setup..

Attachments

• cb setup.jpg
    cb setup.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 49
  • cb mic.jpg
    cb mic.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 41

99ram360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
i wanted to mount my cb like where you did but where i have those cup holders. if i had a soda in there it would put my cb way to low so i really dont know where to put it...and i like that bungee cord thing its different haha

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
i wanted to mount my cb like where you did but where i have those cup holders. if i had a soda in there it would put my cb way to low so i really dont know where to put it...and i like that bungee cord thing its different haha
Thanks haha that was actually one of my buddys ideas. I used to have one of those big fish hooks slid around the sun visor and slid the mic into the hook, but goin off road it got a little dangerous and would come loose, so next thign you know theres a fish hook flyin through the cab of the truck ahah. I like the bunji cord thing though, seems to work good and i dont have to worry about hangin the mic back up as im drivin. And another one of my buddys has an automatic with the fold down cupholders. He bought the cobra cb from walmart and mounted it on the plastic cover under the steering column.

99ram360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
ya my cb would be to big to go down there...idk where ill put it but ill find a spot

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
my cb is pluged into the cigarette lighter, there has to be a better spot to plug it in.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
my cb is pluged into the cigarette lighter, there has to be a better spot to plug it in.

I have the one in my car jambed into a 15 amp fuse
You could do it the somewhat right way and get an add a fuse
You could also splice into the power wire for the cigerette lighter(mine and with an inline fuse, I would add one if yours doesn't)

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
been thinking about putting one in my ram i have an older cobra thats modded not sure whats done to it tho it needs a mount mic and power wire tho befor i can use it

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
98 CTD 12 Valve- Half the valves, twice the fun
Sorry to bumb an older thread, but most TA truck stops (for those of you in NC, the Kinley 95 stop outside of Wilson NC has them) has 6 foot whips. Bought one for the jeep a couple months ago. Ran me 40 dollars for the steel bottom loader whip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye