Aftermarket Backup Camera Question - Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfarmer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
24 Valve Cummins Diesel
Hey guys....I've got a 2000 Ram 3500 Dually with a Cummins Diesel that we use to go antique tractor picking in and travel across the country buying old tractors. My dash is busted like most and I'm about to replace it with the LMC version. I figured it would be a Great Time to upgrade to a double din in-dash Nav/Radio/CD Player Unit rather than having the crappy stock radio. I just love having the Nav built in. I also want to add a backup camera since the HeadUnit will support one. I feel like it will be very invaluable to hooking up trailers.

My question: Is there a camera available that is mounted in the tailgate handle for the 2nd Gen Trucks? I know there wasn't one from the factory but I didn't know if an aftermarket was available. I feel like that would be the best place for one to be located especially using it to hook up trailers. I'm aware of the cameras that bolt to the license plate but those seem real cheap and the angle doesn't seem like it would be good.

ANY AND ALL HELP/ADVICE is appreciated.

OP
OP
R

redfarmer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
24 Valve Cummins Diesel
Just checking to see if anyone had anything to add......

Hey guys....I've got a 2000 Ram 3500 Dually with a Cummins Diesel that we use to go antique tractor picking in and travel across the country buying old tractors. My dash is busted like most and I'm about to replace it with the LMC version. I figured it would be a Great Time to upgrade to a double din in-dash Nav/Radio/CD Player Unit rather than having the crappy stock radio. I just love having the Nav built in. I also want to add a backup camera since the HeadUnit will support one. I feel like it will be very invaluable to hooking up trailers.

My question: Is there a camera available that is mounted in the tailgate handle for the 2nd Gen Trucks? I know there wasn't one from the factory but I didn't know if an aftermarket was available. I feel like that would be the best place for one to be located especially using it to hook up trailers. I'm aware of the cameras that bolt to the license plate but those seem real cheap and the angle doesn't seem like it would be good.

ANY AND ALL HELP/ADVICE is appreciated.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I haven't seen a handle for second or third gens
You could pop the tailgate panel off and check out the back side of the handle and see if there's room to drill through the handle on either side and install a flush mount

I have a license plate mounted one. The view is pretty good for what I use it for. I can see a hitch and how close my bumper is to whatever's behind me

OP
OP
R

redfarmer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
24 Valve Cummins Diesel
Is it possible someone could share a photo of what the view looks like from a license plate camera. I would like to see the view in relation to backing up to a trailer and how good the hitch can be seen on the truck.

I just wish I could get one that mounts on the tailgate handle. Maybe I could drill and add one in there, but I don't know.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Thinking more about drilling a hole and mounting one in the handle more, I'm not so sure how good of a view you'd get
The fourth gen tailgates kind of have a spoiler to them so the handle is angled downward, Fords have theirs mounted at a downward angle on their badge

Ill try to get you one from the license plate with a hitch reciever in