another infinity audio question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
On my 97 single cab ram (2 doors/ no backseat). I have the infinity system. When I got the truck, it already had an aftermarket head unit. I have to turn up the volume really high so I can hear the music. The volume would be at about 30 but the sound would be around the low 20s.
I think it's the stock infinity speakers with the stock amp setup which doesn't work with aftermarket head units. True??

I want to change out everything all together. New head unit, door speakers and all. Nothing fancy and no subs but maybe a small amp for the extra umph.
Can I have a whole new system installed and not use the stock infinity amps?
I already know the sizes are 6x9 and 5 1/4 rears but what size are the speakers that are mounted at the top corner of the doors, near the side view mirror?
I've searched the forums but couldn't find a definite answer.

Any help and advice would be great. Thanks.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those speakers are 1.5" tweeters on 99+ trucks. I would think they are the same on the 97 and down trucks.

OP
OP
H

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
If I was to hook up my door speakers to an aftermarket amp, would I still be able to adjust the treble, bass, balance and fade on my head unit? The door speakers would be directly hooked up to the amp and not the speaker wires from the head unit.
Or would that set up would even work?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I was to hook up my door speakers to an aftermarket amp, would I still be able to adjust the treble, bass, balance and fade on my head unit? The door speakers would be directly hooked up to the amp and not the speaker wires from the head unit.
Or would that set up would even work?

Yes you would still be able to control the functions of the speakers even when they are controlled by an amp.

OP
OP
H

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
So I can completely remove all infinity wires and amps? Then install and have new wires from the speakers so I can connect them to an aftermarket amp?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes wire the speakers completely to the amp and wire the amp to the radio. Btw how much would you want for those amps?

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
You would install everything the same way you would if you were doing subs.. but you would be putting the components on the amp rather than subs. You'd want it for highs and mids. So turn the bass up around a quarter on the amp, and adjust everything else from the head unit.