Brake Lights not working!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L 295 CI Magnum V6 :(
I just looked it over, that page is from the factory service manual for 01 Ram's, however there appears to be a discrepancy between the wiring diagram and the diagnostics image. Pins 1 through 4 are connected to the PCM, however 1 and 2 are the brake sense circuit which are used for the abs system as well as a few other functions, and pins 3 and 4 control the cruise solenoid. Pins 5 and 6 are for the brake lamp switch, I suspect someone got confused while writing the manual.

From the wiring diagram you should have battery voltage on pin 6. If you dont, you need to either trace that back, or run a new positive lead of the same gauge.

Pin 5 leads from the brake switch to a joint connector which splits between the center stop lamp and multifunction switch. Verify that pin 5 is working by using your meter to probe for voltage on that pin with the brake pedal depressed. Optionally you can use a test light to probe pin 5, it should light up with the switch depressed.

If you have power coming from pin 5, don't goto the multi function switch just yet. You can either verify that the center lamps aren't working by testing the socket with a meter, or test lamp. Or you can begin tracing the wire coming off pin 5 for an open along the way up to the joint connector.

I highly doubt that your problem is with the multi function switch if the center lamp is non-functional. It is unlikely that two different wires have gone open at the same time.

The wire you will be tracing will run up to the left side of the instrument panel, it is a 22 pin connector with aprox. 5 open terminals. It should be right next to another joint connector, No. 7, another 22 pin connector with aprox. 4 open terminals.

You will be following the wire to that joint connector. if the wire appears good all the way to the connector you will have to check terminal 16 to ensure it hasn't been pulled out of place. You can also pull the connector and test for voltage at pin 16. If there is no battery voltage on pin 16 with the brake switch depressed but there is on pin 5 of the brake switch, replace the wire between the two.

The only pin that i get power to is pin 6. but that is with the Brake switch taken out.

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay. with the old switch in place, Pedal not depressed i get a light on pin 6. With the pedal depressed on pin 5 i get a light.
Unfortunately i dont have a Multi-meter anymore. I borrowed my dads earlier.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
A test light works just as good as a multimeter for finding battery power. If you are getting power on pin 5 then your old brake switch is working fine and you can return the new one. As Dapper said, sometimes the trailer option can cause problems if improperly installed. The correct method to install a trailer harness is to add a wire in the corresponding joint connectors as was done with the factory systems. However, most choose to tap an inline splice into the wire coming from the brake lamp switch.

Now you get to trace the wire from pin 5 along its length to find where it is damaged or spliced into. If you cannot find the problem and you reach the aforementioned joint connector, and you don't want to just straight out replace the wire, you can test with a jumper wire from pin 5 on the brake switch to pin 16 on the joint connector.

If the jumper fixes the problem, then you know the original wire is bad and must be replaced. If not, well, come back and we can work out another possibility.

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck doesnt have any Trailer harness. Factory or Aftermarket. as far as i know. But i will trace that wire back a bit later when i get home.

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just looked it over, that page is from the factory service manual for 01 Ram's, however there appears to be a discrepancy between the wiring diagram and the diagnostics image. Pins 1 through 4 are connected to the PCM, however 1 and 2 are the brake sense circuit which are used for the abs system as well as a few other functions, and pins 3 and 4 control the cruise solenoid. Pins 5 and 6 are for the brake lamp switch, I suspect someone got confused while writing the manual.

From the wiring diagram you should have battery voltage on pin 6. If you dont, you need to either trace that back, or run a new positive lead of the same gauge.

Pin 5 leads from the brake switch to a joint connector which splits between the center stop lamp and multifunction switch. Verify that pin 5 is working by using your meter to probe for voltage on that pin with the brake pedal depressed. Optionally you can use a test light to probe pin 5, it should light up with the switch depressed.

If you have power coming from pin 5, don't goto the multi function switch just yet. You can either verify that the center lamps aren't working by testing the socket with a meter, or test lamp. Or you can begin tracing the wire coming off pin 5 for an open along the way up to the joint connector.

I highly doubt that your problem is with the multi function switch if the center lamp is non-functional. It is unlikely that two different wires have gone open at the same time.

The wire you will be tracing will run up to the left side of the instrument panel, it is a 22 pin connector with aprox. 5 open terminals. It should be right next to another joint connector, No. 7, another 22 pin connector with aprox. 4 open terminals.

You will be following the wire to that joint connector. if the wire appears good all the way to the connector you will have to check terminal 16 to ensure it hasn't been pulled out of place. You can also pull the connector and test for voltage at pin 16. If there is no battery voltage on pin 16 with the brake switch depressed but there is on pin 5 of the brake switch, replace the wire between the two.

I believe this the 22 Pin Connector your talking about?

WP_20160627_17_58_14_Pro1_zpsaakwxbgo.jpg

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Alright. Made a jumper from pin 5 on the Brake switch to Pin 16 on the 22 Pin connector. I have brake lights!! Yay!!

So now i have to trace the wire back from pin 5 and replace that whole strand?

Alternately, could i Splice into pin 16 temporarily? just until i can afford to go to the auto parts store and get some automotive wire.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Alright. Made a jumper from pin 5 on the Brake switch to Pin 16 on the 22 Pin connector. I have brake lights!! Yay!!

So now i have to trace the wire back from pin 5 and replace that whole strand?

Alternately, could i Splice into pin 16 temporarily? just until i can afford to go to the auto parts store and get some automotive wire.

If you dont mind, you can just cut both wires a few inches from the connectors and splice in a new wire with a few butt connectors. Finding and putting the right terminals on is a pain without the proper tool.

As long as your splice is good, there is no harm in leaving it spliced in with an appropriately sized jumper wire.

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome! In all reality, it's just a work truck so its not a big deal as long as it works.
Thanks for all the help!

trevtop1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, Its probably been a few years since I've posted.
Working on my sisters 01 Ram trying to figure out why the brake lights aren't working.
so far I've pulled every fuse one by one and they are all fine.
Turn signals,Hazards,Reverse Lights, and everything else still works.
I'm thinking its the brake switch but I'm unsure how to test it.

Any info or help would be appreciated.
I recently was told my brake lights weren't working so i began to investigate and discovered some melted wires. Trying to trace them back, could use advice or wiring diagram before i completely destroy my brittle dash. Here's a pic, not pretty.
5a3f31c289fe8a94d9ed223d4d8a2161.jpg
This should help you troubleshoot the brake lamp switch. If the switch is good, i'll look over the wiring diagrams.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I recently was told my brake lights weren't working so i began to investigate and discovered some melted wires. Trying to trace them back, could use advice or wiring diagram before i completely destroy my brittle dash. Here's a pic, not pretty.
5a3f31c289fe8a94d9ed223d4d8a2161.jpg

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

your looking looking at a new cable there mate. Thats not a simple patch job. Try and remove the whole cable, not like its doing you any good now, and take it around to autoparts stores and see if they can get you one. Or go pull one off a junkyard truck.