Can use some wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Ok finally got to work on my remote start a little, went through and labelled the wires and ran into a problem with the Ignition wire and the secondary ignition wire.
CAM00080_zpsc60pidwm.jpg

The wiring diagram I have for the 2001 ram 1500 labels the ignition wire as being dark blue, but as you can see in the photo there are 2 dark blue wires, one is a higher gauge than the other so I imagine that one is the ignition but I'm not sure

CAM00079_zpsmxc2rclc.jpg

Same situation with the secondary ignition wire which is suppose to be black/orange.

I plan on testing all the wires before making connections anyway but I'm not sure what I should expect to see and when to see it different from the primary ignition and secondary ignition wires.

Also my parking light wire is labelled as behind my headlight switch, getting to the switch is a pain which isn't such a big deal the problem is how do I then get the wire up there or get the harness down to connect it to the unit, looks like I'd have to completely disassemble the whole dash, unless someone knows where I can access this wire from somewhere below the steering column.

Thanks for any help yall can offer.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok I will give this a try. First the best thing to do is contact eh company that you go the remote starter unit from and see if they have a harness adaptor for your truck. That would be the easiest thing to do. I will do some searching to see if I can maybe find a generic one that will work and post a link here for you.

Now the parking light. You do not have to go through the switch to access that one at all. The easiest way to get to it is to run a wire from the headlights where the actual parking lamp is and splice into the wiring there. It is much easier to get too with no dash disassembly.
If I can find an adaptor for you I will post it here. Good luck.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bigger wires are for the ignition. Check out section 8W in your manual. The first page tells how to identify the wires by size and color and connector.

The hood pin wire and the tach wire are the only wires that left the cab. All others wires were tapped into under the dash.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
The bigger wires are for the ignition. Check out section 8W in your manual. The first page tells how to identify the wires by size and color and connector.

The hood pin wire and the tach wire are the only wires that left the cab. All others wires were tapped into under the dash.

Thanks, the dark blue one the wires are 2 different sizes, my first thought was that the bigger one would be for the ignition, the black/orange ones though they appear to be the same size and color, all the wires are taped up so I'm either going to have to undo the taping and trace them back to the connectors or use a multimeter to determine if I have the right wire. I'll check my manual see if I can find something else that would make it easier though too. The parking light wire though I haven't been able to find where it comes down at below the dash, I'm thinking I might be able to route the wire up through the fuse panel on the drives side dash and drop the connector end down and make the connection behind the headlight switch, hopefully its as easy as it sounds. I'm not sure if trucks come like this or not, but all my wires are electrical taped up into bundles, has made it really difficult identifying the correct wires but atleast I'm down to the last couple.