Cargo Lamp has a Mind of its Own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bearhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK. I need some suggestions where to start. I acquired my truck late last year and have been doing mods as I have time. I notice some old water stains in the outside corners of the headliner and immediately thought of the foam gasket around the cargo/brake light. Sure enough, the gasket is perished so off to the Dodge dealer. $5 later and I'm at home to do the replacement and notice that both cargo bulbs are gone. As in gone-gone. That was my first clue. So, off the AutoZone. $3 and I'm at home to replace the bulbs. A quick test of the cargo lamp. All good. All done. Or so I thought. The next morning I go out to the garage and see the cargo light on. First thought was I left it on after working on it. No dead battery so it’s all good –but its not. I gave the headlamp switch a quick counter clockwise turn but it wasn’t switched on. So after switching and unswitching, compressed air, tapping and knocking (my solution to most any issue) I still can’t turn out the light. So, you guessed it. Out come the bulbs. I've waited a couple of days and tried again. Again, bulbs in, quick test, off/on. It’s all good. I sneak out later that night and there back on.

Any idea where to start with this one. Maybe it’s the problematic headlight switch. The brake light is fine, no issues. I HATE dealing with the electrics so any advice is much appreciated.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first guess would be corrosion in the sockets of the cargo lights creating a short/constant hot.

OP
OP
B

Bearhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first guess would be corrosion in the sockets of the cargo lights creating a short/constant hot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check there first. I wanted to get an LED setup and need to get this resolved first. If its an issue with the sockets then the new setup would be the way to go.