Electric fan controllers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is everyone running for electric fan controllers? I'm in need of one for my dual 14" fans. The derale #16789 controller I bought has turned out to be junk and does not work at all! So looking for suggestions on a new one.

dragracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look into Painless Wiring. I ran a kit that used a sensor mounted in coolant. If you have a place to mount it in the intake or other coolant passages. I liked this better than a controller. They have 180 or 195 temps. Switch opens at whichever one you get. Will see if i can find part #

Rich

OP
OP
98hemi-ram

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome thanks! I've heard of painless before but never even thought of them for this. I already have an adapter piece mounted in my upper rad hose with a 3/8" NPT threads. I prefer the sensor to actually be in the coolant as well seems like a much more accurate way of reading the temp to me.

dragracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Painless Performance: Fan Relay w/thermostatic switch 185 degrees On/175 degrees Off

I assume you already have it wired up. So you could just get the switch to replace your controller. Or get one of the painless controllers.

I like the thermo switch better. Turns fans on at a preset temp. As long as you can find a place to mount it. Some aftermarket radiators have a port for one. Having the switch in the block/intake before it runs thru radiator is better because youre getting an accurate temp of the coolant in the MOTOR. Either way will work. Most controllers have a probe that slides in the hose. Just remember 195 in the radiator isnt 195 in the block.

Had good luck with these. Couple of my buddies have used flexalite controllers with decent results too.

Just remember to use correct rated relays. And use one relay for each fan.

If a fan is rated say 20 or 25 amps it will draw considerably more on start up.

Just my 2 cents.

If you dont have a build thread of your truck, post some pics. Would like to see the hemi in the gen 2. Im new to this forum, but not to automobiles and building them. Always like to see beyond the norm. :insane:

OP
OP
98hemi-ram

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I simply use a 50 amp toggle switch mounted inside my truck for my supplemental electric fans. However, my tune and setup is based around a 130-135 degree target operating temp, with no thermostat, so I need the fans running all the time when I'm driving slowly or idling to keep my temps in that range. I simply use the switch to turn the fans off at highway speeds when they aren't needed, and switch them back on when I'm doing stop and go or city driving, or off roading, when I need them to keep the temperature from spiking. I have one fan on the radiator/transmission cooler, and one on the aftermarket oil cooler. I have them rigged on the ignition circuit so that when the switch is left in the on position, the fans will start when the engine is started and turn off when you shut off the engine.

NRA4ever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran a pair of Troyer Performance 16 inch fans on a F150. His controllers worked great. I found a set of 14 inch Flexilites today at a u pullit yard. Paid $12.00 for them & they look new. The Troyer controllers went into the radiator fins. I set one for 185 & the other at 195. I also hooked the one in front of my compressor to come on with the ac. That truck would freeze you on hot summer days.I'll check Summit for the Flexitite controllers

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
I've installed these and they seem to work well

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/der-16749
i learned from my last fan controller that ones with replaceable relays equals the possibility of water getting in. i know because i walked out to my truck 1 day an found the fans running when the truck was not and they should not have been.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
i learned from my last fan controller that ones with replaceable relays equals the possibility of water getting in. i know because i walked out to my truck 1 day an found the fans running when the truck was not and they should not have been.
That's why you hook them up to a key on power source lol

NRA4ever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am getting the Haden controler from summit. It has the relays for the ac & controls both fans