Electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duane9586

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Why is there always power to my headlight sockets as well as all my interior sockets. They all come on and go off as should but I was trying to add extra led lighting to the interior and come on when I open the door bit they are always hot. Thanks for the help.
2000 2500 V10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Thats just the way electrical is run in these trucks. Most everything is ground switched. Or if it makes it easier to understand, everything is positive ground. There are some reasons for it, but mostly it just makes the electrical engineering between all the control modules easier.

OP
OP
D

duane9586

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Thanks. Any idea how to add lights to a circuit. Like some lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The same way you normally would. If you want door activated interior lights, i'd suggest replacing the dome lamp with LED and tapping off either the dome light (pink wire positive, yellow wire negative) or tapping off the back of the headlamp switch (yellow) and supplying your own fused battery wire.

If you hook them up the way described, they will also come on when you turn on the dome/cargo lights manually.

I replaced my dome and map lights with LED, but I never thought about LED Entry/accent lighting. I'm gonna have to get some more LED lights myself :happy107: