Electrical Troubleshooting Assistance Requested

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrustratedOldMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Strange problem with my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L, Auto, 4x4, Quad Cad, Laramie Edition

Issue:
- Activating left turn signal turns on windshield wipers
- With fog lights on, turning on headlights turns on windshield wipers and illuminates left turn signal indicator with a dull light
- With fog lights off, headlights operate normally

What I have tried:
- Aftermarket tail light bar removed. This had been installed and operation normally for over a year.
- New radio installation removed.
- Turn signal, multi-function switch replaced.

Nothing tried has changed the symptoms at all. Any ideas or wiring PDFs that someone can share?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is something tied into the left turn signal/driving light circuit to the wiper. Makes me think for some reason the harness has and issue and those 2 wires are touching. Or in the fuse box. Do you have a heavy corrosion issue or any sign that animals are under the hood?

OP
OP
F

FrustratedOldMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Nothing noticeable in the way of corrosion or animal damage. I was going to start metering out wires starting at the wiper motor this weekend. Looking at the wiring diagrams for both the wiper and turn signal this after noon, I really don't see much common except for the multi function switch. I was gong o start there and work my way out.

That is of course unless someone on the forum comes up with a better approach :)

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
Start looking for shared grounds.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would be looking at grounds also. normally the signal indicator only come on with the headlights when you got a bulb out or something is using it as a ground.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your fuse box for corrosion, I've read other threads where people have had strange things like this happen and corrosion was the cause.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I would also look for wires that may have rubbed together. Start probing wires while activating the various switches to see where the current is coming from.

Sounds like a wiring issue... But could also be a ground problem as well.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Pull out your multi-function switch and check the wires in the big connector. Over time, especially if the steering wheel is shifted up and down a lot, various wires can pop loose from the connector and cause goofy issues.

When I first got my truck, the low beams would randomly cut out and eventually got to the point to where they wouldn't work at all. I replaced the multi-function switch, did nothing. Pulled it off, looked at the connector and found that the hot for the low beams had popped out. Pressed it back in and haven't had a problem with the low beams ever since.

This connector houses a ton of hots for various stuff in the truck.