Exhaust Brake Switch Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Well i made a trip to the local junk yard today with two of my buddies after school and got a few things..all for free haha i got two "lightning audio" or something 6x9 speakers out of an 80's camaro, we tried em in my buddies chevy 1500 and they worked, pretty decent sound too. So i think im gonna throw them in my 82 F100 project. I also got an exhaust brake switch off the shifter of an older international plow truck. I mounted the switch on the shifter in my truck as soon as i got home, but im just not sure what i should wire it up to lol you guys got any ideas?? Ill see if i can get a pic of it...

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Heres a pic of it, not the greatest bc it was dark lol but i cant always get a better one tomorrow..

Attachments

• Exh brake switch.jpg
    Exh brake switch.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Heres a pic of it, not the greatest bc it was dark lol but i can always get a better one tomorrow..

Attachments

• Exh brake switch.jpg
    Exh brake switch.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Um , that might not work for you as a exhaust brake is for a diesel

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
I think he's just wanting to use the button for somethin besides an air brake. Brake light kill switch so the cops wont find ya lol, someone will chime in with a better idea

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Um , that might not work for you as a exhaust brake is for a diesel
yeah i know ahah but i cut the wires off it when i pulled it out of the truck in the junk yard. theres about a foot or so of wire still on it, so i can just add wire to it if i need to. but id like to hook it up to something, it looks kinda cool on there haha but i know it wont work as an exhaust brake, i wish i had the diesel though lol maybe one day...

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I think he's just wanting to use the button for somethin besides an air brake. Brake light kill switch so the cops wont find ya lol, someone will chime in with a better idea
yeah thats the plan haha but i dont need the brake kill switch...trucks too fast, the cops cant catch itt ;)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Wire it up to some fog lights or something, thats all I can think of

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Any aftermarket lighting you have, or train horn, anything aftermarket is going to be best bet.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
yeah i guess i could do that. i do have the "wanna be" train horns from Harbor freight lol but theyre already wired to a switch under my dash. and then i have the red LED strips under my dash too which are on a switch right next to the one for the horns. maybe ill hook this switch up to a set of fog lights or something...ill have to do some ponderin on it lol

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
mount some fogs
Yeah i think thats what im gonna do. Ive been thinkin about gettin a nice set of off road lights, like KC's or something and either puttin em behind the grille or makin some kind of a mount for the them on the front bumper. I might get a grille guard like this one maybe this summer hopefully so i could put lights on that. http://images01.olx.com/ui/5/89/44/...ard-KC-Lites-May-TRADE-Indiana-1271621711.jpg I just dont want it to come up this high, just to the middle of the grille. Well see what happens though..

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
Those switches can be used to switch between high/low range axles on big rigs as well. Basically anything you want in your case!

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Alright, i think the decisions been made...Im gonna run down to the local junk store, or toy store in my opinion haha and see if they have any sirens. i know they did have one a while ago and one of my buddies said they have another one again too. so ill pick that up and wire into the exhaust brake switch :)

the one im hopin to get looks a little something like this:
Old Truck Siren | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Heres the update guys! I went down to the local antique store with my buddy after school today. The guy had four or five sirens for like $25 at the most. However, most of em were 6 volts except for the one that i got. We tried it in his store on a 6 volt battery, nothing. Tried it on my truck in the parkin lot, nothing. So i told him it wasnt workin and he said "well, go ahead and take it and maybe you can mess with it and get it to work". It was only marked for $2 haha so i brought it home, bypassed the relay mounted to the bottom of it and it went. I was able to get it all mounted and wired into my truck in less than an hour in 10* weather and it works great! Pretty good find id say! Ill grab some pics tomorrow of it.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Heres those pics. First one is the air horns, and the siren is the black round thing above them. Second pic is the exhaust brake switch for the siren mounted on my shifter haha

Attachments

• siren and air horns.jpg
    siren and air horns.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Exhaust brake switch.jpg
    Exhaust brake switch.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 18