First audio build (could use help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Alright, well this is going to be my first actual "system" in one of my vehicles. And what inspired me to do it was a couple deals i didn't feel like passing up. So this will definitely be a budget system, but it should sound alot better than stock! lol.

So here is what i have so far...

In the truck from previous owner:
-4 gauge power wire running to rear seat, with remote wire running to switch under the dash
-One set of RCAs running to the back seat

What i have in my hands, but not in the truck:

-4 Hertz Speakers, (guy put 'em in his ram, and had them removed when he sold it to the dealer for an audi) $200
-1 JL audio 10" sub (traded some stuff i had sitting around in my garage to a buddy who had this in his previous truck, worked great. he is also going to help build the box, this sub is still in his garage since we haven't built the box yet...) $got rid of stuff hanging out in my garage
-1 JL e 4300 amp 4 channel, for my speakers. $50 from a buddy who used it in his car and wasn't using it for his truck's system $50
-1 Jenson 200w amp, for the sub, probably upgrade to a 400w it in the future from the same guy that gave me the 4 channel. $Free from a buddy who had it sitting in his garage

What i need (and where i have the most questions):
-Head Unit (looking for one with 3 pre outs, would love a touch screen but $200 budget, looking at a Power Acoustik PD-740NB. Heard decent things about them for being an off brand. And i'm not an audiophobe, so i think i may live with it
-Wires, Speaker wires from amps to speakers and sub (want to use new wire, not going to re use the stock stuff. $10 gets me 100 feet of 18ga speaker wire on amazon, would 18ga be about perfect, or should i got with something bigger?
-wires, 2 more sets of RCAs, for the 4 channel amp. Should i get 3 and replace the set of RCAs that the previous owner had in there?
-Power, I was told from a friend who works at a local audio store i can split the power wire that is currently running up to my rear seat to power both amps, good idea or bad idea?

I've been acquiring stuff for this build over the last 3 months as i get money, next big purchase is the head unit, than its nickel and dime stuff. Being $250 into the build, i feel like i am doing well budget wise, hoping to be under $600 total into the system, which should be do able. Advice, and answers to my questions. comments welcome too. thanks all

H/U options....
Jensen VM9224BT (doubel din)
Power Acoustik PD-740NB (single din)
both are DVD/CD players, Blue tooth ready, navigation ready (with an extra box) steering wheel controls, and so on....i'd be willing to do a double din install, but still in the $200 price range...

Last edited:

brian3180

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As the head unit goes, cant help. I only used Kenwood and will continue too.
Yes you can split the power wire to run two amps you will just need a distrubution block. You can find these pretty cheap.
Speaker wires and RCA- you get what you pay for. The cheap wire has a thick,brittle coating that is not very flexible.Use at your own risk.Years back i bought a roll of 100' 16ga wire from sonic electronics for $18.99. Let me just say it was crap. Look at the products KnuKonceptz has. I ordered a set of 4 channel Krystal RCA Kables and a set of 2 channels for my subs. They are awsome and have a great sound for about $1.00 a foot. They also have cheaper cables- EKO, Klarity, and Karma lines. I know your budget is low, but keep in mind its easier to change out speakers than it is to run new wire. Hertz speakers and JL 4 channel, treat the to some decent wire.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yeah, the wiring i plan on doing right and not going cheap, than upgrading my lower end stuff as i get more income into higher end while knowing the wires will hold everything and work perfect. I've got about $100 built into the wiring budget, but would prefer it under $50 if i can get quality wires.

As for the deck, i'm almost looking at as all the audio is going to amps, so i don't need a big BA deck, but i would love expand ability and a touch screen. so if i go off brand there, i should be able to get everything i want. I've ran off brand decks before and never had a problem. but this is my first actual system. So i guess we will see. i do know i can make my money back reselling it locally if the off rband deck doesn't live up to my needs. alot of people won't care about it being an off brand but will look at it and say "ooh touch screen" lol.

brian3180

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would check craigslist. I found a Kenwood DDX514 with navigation module, bluetooth module, ipod cord, and a liscence plate rear veiw camera. I got it from the guy for $350. It was about 2 years old but in perfect working order.Its been about 2 years now. Its still in my wifes car todate. Just keep an eye out for deals.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
i've got my phone set up to search all of Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and Montana for a deal like that. So my eyes are definitely watching for something like that to pop up. The problem is everyone around here wants $400-$500 for just a name brand DVD touch screen, no gps, and 2-5 years old.

NRA4ever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Four gauge is small for the amps you have. It will run the JL but it's light for the 2.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd think he would've figured it out by now . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
I was going to run two power wires for my amps but you have me thinking now. :/

I know nothing about audio I am learning slowly.