Fog Light Wiring to Non-Fog Light Model

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Striball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
This is my first post so please forgive me if I happen to do anything wrong.

So I have myself a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.9L Gas) that was passed down to me. Before I got it my father rear ended someone and needed a new bumper, and it just so happens his friend also has a 1997 Ram, but a sport edition.

So we got that front bumper, which had the optional fog lights, and put it on, and that was about 2008. Since then I've always been wondering if there's a possibility to ever wire the fog lights to actually make them work, granted there's an actual plug for them behind the bumper.

I don't have the button in the dash next to the overdrive button that (I assume) turns on the fog lights. But I was wondering if there's any safe way to wire the fog lights into the actual parking light/headlight harness. For example, if I pull the light switch halfway for only the parking lights, the fog lights would also turn on.

Any outlook would be appreciated as to what I'm asking.
Thanks.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Unless you have an ST truck, all of the wiring SHOULD be there.

You should have seen a square plug on the drivers side of the truck when you pulled the old bumper off. Wiring for the switch is in the dash somewhere back there if I remember correctly and I believe there are relays already in place in the fuse box.

Just start poking around the truck to see whats there.

OP
OP
S

Striball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks, I'll go look around and report back if I can find anything

OP
OP
S

Striball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So here is what I found. The bumper harness is connected to the harness that runs along the frame (assuming that's the right harness). And there is an unused plug on the passenger side of the harness that is on the frame.

What would be next?

Attachments

• CAM00034.jpg
    CAM00034.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,990
OP
OP
S

Striball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Right, so I got a fog lamp switch from my parts truck, interchanged it with the blank button, found the plug, cleaned it, and plugged it in.

The button works, it lights up and all. So then I went to the fuse box in the engine bay, put the 2 relays in for the right spot for the fog lamps & tested both the relays to check if they are working. Both are working.

Got new bulbs too, but the fog lamps are still not coming on

Here is a picture of my fuse box in the cab, I'm assuming there is a fuse for the fog lamps but I'm not sure where it would be or where it would go.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• CAM00045.jpg
    CAM00045.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,332

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I could go look at my truck...but it's freaking pouring out there. :mad:

OP
OP
S

Striball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Any ideas other than a simple fuse?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The only thing I can think of without going out to look at my truck is to check the plugs for the bulbs with a multimeter to see if they're getting juice.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Right, so I got a fog lamp switch from my parts truck, interchanged it with the blank button, found the plug, cleaned it, and plugged it in.

The button works, it lights up and all. So then I went to the fuse box in the engine bay, put the 2 relays in for the right spot for the fog lamps & tested both the relays to check if they are working. Both are working.

Got new bulbs too, but the fog lamps are still not coming on

Here is a picture of my fuse box in the cab, I'm assuming there is a fuse for the fog lamps but I'm not sure where it would be or where it would go.

Thanks for the help.

The fog light fuse is in the engine bay fuse center

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk