head unit swap with infinity system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Hello I am considering swapping my head unit for a newer one but I want to keep my amps. Anyone have any input to give me so I can keep my system?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Are you replacing with aftermarket headunit or just a newer factory one? if factory just get one with the infinity. for aftermarket get the harness that allows for keeping the stock stuff then its just plug it in.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Are you replacing with aftermarket headunit or just a newer factory one? if factory just get one with the infinity. for aftermarket get the harness that allows for keeping the stock stuff then its just plug it in.

What does that involve? Does it bypass the speaker amps and run straight power off the head or what? My buddy John was saying that you had to pull the door panels and unhook each amp in order for the HU to drive the speakers properly.

OP
OP
codered

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Thank you but my biggest concern is keeping the amps running. I currently have a clarion head unit with a kit from metra. If I read the harness model number off could you tell me if it's the right harness to keep my amps.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you but my biggest concern is keeping the amps running. I currently have a clarion head unit with a kit from metra. If I read the harness model number off could you tell me if it's the right harness to keep my amps.

Did you install the Calrion HU? What model is the Clarion? What model is the new HU? The current Metra harness should work on the new HU. For the most part, swapping aftermarket HU's is just swapping wire for wire though newer units usually have more options for headlight switching, power antenna, amp turn-on etc.

OP
OP
codered

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Did you install the Calrion HU? What model is the Clarion? What model is the new HU? The current Metra harness should work on the new HU. For the most part, swapping aftermarket HU's is just swapping wire for wire though newer units usually have more options for headlight switching, power antenna, amp turn-on etc.

Nah I didn't install it it came from 1999 and installed since. Yeah I was reading if the harness didn't have the amp power on you could splice the wire into the new HU. I'm going to call around to see first of jvc. Btw nice avatar I used to enjoy fishing now all I do is relax on the pier lol.