Hey dudman2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sterling

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 offroad
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks for all the info. I have a few questions because I'm not sure what I'm doing.
If you remember my ac compressor is not coming on.

I jumped the compressor to the battery wand the clutch didn't engage so the clutch is shot.

My question is if remove the ac relay I have 13 v at the relay but if plug the relay in the voltage drops out. I measured this with fine wire on the relay prongs. I know you said the computer controlled this. Is the computer looking for an amperage draw somewhere or looking to see a pressure switch open/close.

If I stick a paper clip in 30&87 I have voltage at the plug but not with the relay

Thx

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You've confirmed the clutch it bad by providing a known good ground to the clutch and providing a voltage source yet it didn't engage.

As for the relay, pins 30 & 86 are battery fused, pin 86 is the control pin and should not be jumped to anything. pin 85 is the PCM control, it either provides ground on this pin or not. Pin 87 goes to the compressor clutch.

to test the relay, remove it from the vehicle. provide ground to pin 85 and battery supply to pin 86. then measure resistance between pins 30 and 87, you should see less than 1ohm. If you see more than 1 ohm or OL, replace the relay.

OP
OP
S

Sterling

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 offroad
Engine
Magnum 5.9
As always thanks. I completely understand how frustrating it can be trying to explain it to a layman. I work with pools and pull my hair out trying to explain stuff

Pin 86 is connected to the hvac control, right? It appears to get and lose 12v with the ac

The relay works with battery voltage and I've switched it around.

The ground on 85 is there with the relay out but when I put the relay in it dissappears. Is there some time delay or is it not getting a correct response from one of the pressure switches?

Thanks

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Unless the diagrams are wrong (wouldn't be the first time :roflsquared: ). Pin 86 should always battery power, it should never switch on or off. Pin 85 is connected to the PCM and should have and lose grounding as the compressor clutch is cycled on and off.

Unfortunately, its very difficult if not impossible to get a correct reading by probing a connection from the front while installing a component, you almost alway need to back probe the connection to get an accurate result when installing a component.

The control pin is not connected in any way to the pressure switches, it is only connected to the PCM.

OP
OP
S

Sterling

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 offroad
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks again.

OP
OP
S

Sterling

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 offroad
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I installed a new compressor and switches and everything works. Thanks . I found my issue with the wiring. Like an idiot I was in acc or on when I was checking voltages. When the engine is running the voltages were as expected. Just want to let you know your help was appreciated