HIDExtra install issues, problems solved sharing the story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
So my dad got me a HID kit from HIDextra.com for my 01 ram 1500, which was pretty awesome of him, anyway so I went to install it, not too many issues really with the install, absolutely no instructions came with the unit and the instructions on their website don't match the unit they ship. Not a huge deal its all Plug N Play, connectors all have little clips that clip in so you just match up the clips, sounds easy right? So I get it all hooked up and turn on my headlights, nothing, nada, not $H!*. At this point it was raining and threatening to lightening out (I'm currently living out of a hotel and have no garage or anything) so i called it quits for the night. Go back the next morning after looking at their website at their install instructions, which as mentioned before are fairly worthless. Double check all my connections and try again, still no headlights, but hey my high beams work, well now isn't that something so I look at the ballast and the connector there and this is what I see.
CAM00069_zps2be96d1a.jpg

(Notice the Positive connecting to the negative....)
I was able to turn the connector around and get them working, but it doesn't clip in. I looked at taking the pins out but wasn't able to get them out to reverse them was worried I'd break the pins. Going to call the company tomorrow and have them send me a new wire harness or ballast. Its not dark out yet so I have no pictures for a before and after currently. If not for the bad job of wiring the connectors and ballast and everything seem to be decent quality.

ChillyPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
The HID kit that came in my projectors from protuning lab was the ********* of any of them. They're not even bright and I can't listen to my radio when the low beams are on.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
So I called the company, they had me email the picture and explain the problem (the ******* the phone I'm pretty sure didn't understand what a ballast was even). This is the response I get back.

"It sounds like for your vehicle, you needed to reverse the polarity. You will need to secure the connection with zipties and electrical tape.

We understand the plug normally plugs into the ballast only one way however to reverse the polarity you can actually take the plug and flip it 180 degree and plug it back in the ballast. If you are still unsure on the reversing of the polarity please visit Single-Beam H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H10 (9145 Series), H11, H16 (5202), 880 Series, 9005 (9011, HB3), 9006 (9012, HB4) HID Conversion Kit Installation Guide and scroll to the bottom of the page to view a video on the reversing of the polarity."

I'm still not super excited about the answer.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Though rare.........these things to happen. Rare........but yeah. Mass produced stuff, things happen.

But, its really easy to swap those pins. Small screwdriver (jewelers) and you can pull those pins out, swap 'em and done.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
Though rare.........these things to happen. Rare........but yeah. Mass produced stuff, things happen.

But, its really easy to swap those pins. Small screwdriver (jewelers) and you can pull those pins out, swap 'em and done.

I tried with a small flathead but I was worried I was going to break the pin, am I suppose to push it to the outside or the inside?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
on a 9006, inside.