Horn honks when unlocked?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 4x4 and when I lock the truck with the key fob it honks one time like it supposed to. And when I hit the unlock button it unlocks fine. But sometimes when I go to open the door (after I hit the button or use the key to unlock) the horn honks three times. Always three time no more or less. It honks in the same patern as the alarm going off. Anyone know why it does this? Nothing is wrong with the locking system as I said, it locks and unlocks fine. It's just annoying that it honks sometimes. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I dont know if the security systems on the 01s are this sophisticated, but it could be telling you that someone has tampered with the vehicle while you were away. A bad sensor could cause it to think that someone has tried tampering with the vehicle, like a door switch, or maybe if these vehicles had them, the accelerometer. A bad central timer module has also been know to cause security alarm problems similar to this.