Installed LED headlights, now get radio interference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshinparadise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Is there some way to block the radio interference/fuzz i'm getting from my new LED headlamps?

I have stock radio on my 97 Ram 2500 cummins turbodiesel... Any thoughts?

Thank you!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Is there some way to block the radio interference/fuzz i'm getting from my new LED headlamps?

I have stock radio on my 97 Ram 2500 cummins turbodiesel... Any thoughts?

Thank you!

I saw somewhere that there's a little cylindrical block that snaps over the power wire to eliminate interference, search around, you'll find it.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
They cylindrical blocks dont do much of anything for audible noise, only high frequency noise that would disrupt microcontrollers. I'd suggest getting filter capacitors, they come in a couple varieties, packaged or individual. What you're experiencing is noise from the DC to DC converter in the LED drivers, this interference is in the kHz, around 10kHz-20kHz. Lots of car audio places sell filter caps for exactly this reason. Most come in little blocks that contain a variety of capacitance caps in parallel that you hook up across the positive and negative wires of your radio.

There are various types, but you'd likely be looking at a radio noise suppression filter, or noise suppression capacitors/chokes. Sometimes they cannot get rid of all the noise, but as long as you get a decent one they will severely cut down on the noise. I have one installed in my truck because of all the LED stuff I have, it makes a terrible racket on the radio, as well as the alternator whine while driving.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If your headlights are causing interference you've got a problem with your lights I would imagine.

I've had two radios since installing my kit from SuperBrightLEDs and zero interference.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If your headlights are causing interference you've got a problem with your lights I would imagine.

I've had two radios since installing my kit from SuperBrightLEDs and zero interference.

Superbright rebrands pretty good chinese imports that have some decent suppression, but not all the cheaper ones do.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Superbright rebrands pretty good chinese imports that have some decent suppression, but not all the cheaper ones do.

All i know is my junk don't buzz. lol
Don't buy junk and it'll be good.

An RF blocker will definitely be a help for sure tho.

Trevor Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 24V
How did you guys solve the issue of the OEM retaining rings not fitting on the LED bulbs because of the fan on the back of the LED bulbs being too large in diameter?

Thanks

Trevor

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
in a work truck i drove when i had the beacon light aux switch turned on i would always get interference when i flickered. the flicker was actually timed with the beacon illuminating so i thought it was a power draw issue from the battery?

maybe similar to the issue youre having?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
How did you guys solve the issue of the OEM retaining rings not fitting on the LED bulbs because of the fan on the back of the LED bulbs being too large in diameter?

Thanks

Trevor
My SBL kit was tight for sure, but it fit.

Now, getting it out will prove to be impossible because my fan is seized onto the bulb. :crazy: