JL e4300, need high level jack! and hi to lo adapter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So, i am hoping someone can help me out here. I am looking for the pigtail/jack to connect the high level (speaker wire) to the amp. The head unit i am looking at (on a budget here, but still want all the options so going off brand on that) is not offered with 3 pre outs. it has 1 for the sub, but for the speakers its just straight speaker wire. So to stay in budget i would like to run the speakers to the amp, but i don't have the pigtail for the amp to make the connection. If anyone knows where or how i can find it, that would be awesome. I got the amp from a buddy, and he is gunna look around for the pigtail but he isn't sure if he has it still.

as to the hi/lo question. I noticed in home audio they make adapters to run your speaker wire to an adapter that changes it over from the high level speaker wire, to low level RCA wire. that would be my second option if i can't get the pigtail, what issues would i run into by doing this? would i be looking at massive signal degradation by converting it? or should it work just fine. the adapters are made to connect to stereos that don't offer RCA outputs, so that you can run speaker wire to the adapter, and RCAs from the adapter to an amp. In my head it seems like they are made to do exactly what i am looking to do, so it should work perfect right? comments appreciated, still learning all i can about audio, i've never really messed with it. i could rebuild your engine blindfolded, but only know basics when it comes to audio. lol

thanks all!

brian3180

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You could run the Hi/lo converter. You will need to tap into your stock speaker wires in the rear or speaker leads @ the head unit, whats closest and easiest. if you will be running new wire to the speakers from the amp you should not hear any volume drop from the hi/lo converter.Just get a decent converter.You can pick one up at a local audio shop or order online, they are about $20 and cheaper. And make sure you have all your grounds are grounded good, the converters are known to pick up electrical noise.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
would it be best to connect the adapter as close to the deck as possible? or does it mater? will there be much signal degradation or will i not even notice it? Would i get better sound if i buy the hi level input for the amp, or will it be similar sound either way? and yes, i am planning on running all new speaker wire from the amps to the speakers.

well, it seems that this one has alot of good reviews, so i am kinda leaning towards it instead of buying a $5 one. i figure i am already making short cuts, but this might not be one of the areas i want to make a compromise. its a PAC unit, didn't see any name brand models, but than again the name brands all make their stuff with enough pre outs to begin with. lol.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-35-Ad...verter/dp/B001EAWS3W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited:

brian3180

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It dosent matter the connection point, the signal will travel the same distance. You will be amping the signal so you will not notice signal degration. The guy that tought me everything years back (a world DB drag champ) that lo level input is always better than hi level input.
Dont forget pics of the intall.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Pics will come, i've got the head unit picked out and will order it mid month next month, and i'll be picking up the odds and ends throughout this month, so hopefully mid august i will be doing my install