key doesn't stay on ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
Hi, my old 1984 mustang had the same issue, you can get the key off of the ignition once the vehicle is running. what can i do to fix it?
also, is it common the i can open the doors on my truck and get it running using another chrysler key? cause the mechanic gave me the wrong chrysler key when i went to pick up my truck and a week later he called me saying that key was another clients car

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Hi, my old 1984 mustang had the same issue, you can get the key off of the ignition once the vehicle is running. what can i do to fix it?
also, is it common the i can open the doors on my truck and get it running using another chrysler key? cause the mechanic gave me the wrong chrysler key when i went to pick up my truck and a week later he called me saying that key was another clients car

my 94 ram i could start with at least 3 of my friends 2nd gen truck keys, hell i even used one of theirs to unlock my truck when i locked the keys in it once, once they wear out they pretty much become a free for all lol, replace your locks and ignition and you will be fine

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Once it gets worn out from use you can either live with it or replace it with new; kinda like an girlfriend.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Like the others have said, your looking at a new lock cylinder housing. At that point you might as well replace the two other lock cylinders on the doors. IMO its stupid to replace one but not the rest, I hate having more than one key for my truck, I hated that about my old 88 Chevy. Buy remaned or new, its up to you, but used parts from a junkyard might have the same problem in a short while down the road.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnun 5.9
Like the others have said, your looking at a new lock cylinder housing. At that point you might as well replace the two other lock cylinders on the doors. IMO its stupid to replace one but not the rest, I hate having more than one key for my truck, I hated that about my old 88 Chevy. Buy remaned or new, its up to you, but used parts from a junkyard might have the same problem in a short while down the road.
so i believe they sell them by the set, am i right?
ignition and doors, so i can use the same key?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
They should.