LED headlights and pods acting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
So occasionally I will have this issue, and then it will go away for a while... And come back. I recently got a pair of LED pods for fog lights, and I wired them right into the factory sport fog wiring harness so I could run them from the factory 3 way switch. And a while back I got the SBL LED headlights to go in my sport housings. Okay so for the problem. Sometimes when I go to turn my lights on I'll turn the switch to the headlights on position, and instead of the low beams coming on the high beams only will come on. Then if I pull the switch to turn the fogs on the fogs will come on along with the low beams, so all of my lights are on, and its too bright. But if I switch to the parking lights and pull for the fogs the top side of the low beam lights will come on with the fogs. And now in a couple days this problem will go away... And come back later. Anyone have any idea?

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is different as well. Not sure the problem. My low beams work fine. My high beams work fine. But when i pull the fog light switch my high beams come on. Doesn't bother me as i have the floods hooked up the fog light wiring, so i can't run them unless I'm in a position to use the high beams.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Y'all's trucks might have issues due to being sports. Relays n ****

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what you can pull to check it. High beam relay maybe?

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Its weird because sometimes it works just fine. And then when the lows come on now only the top of the LED lights up and not bottom.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's how mine work all the time. Upper portion low beam, lower portion come on with high beams.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My low beams started going off with my high beams when I swapped the projector housings in. That really confused me since I didn't touch the wiring on the truck at all. I had 4 connectors that I wired up 2 for high beams and 2 for low instead of the all in one conversion connector or whatever. So I think it's because the h1 bulb in the projector does not ground back into the system the same way it just grounds on the bulb housing. I'm going to do some more work with those headlights later on, when I do I'll tinker with it and see if I can't figure it out.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The top of the led is only supposed to illuminate with the low beams anyway

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yall think it could be something with how the fog light switch is tied into the headlight switch and stuff? Maybe something to do with decreased load on the system too?

Just spitballin. But none of us regular slt guys seen to be having problems :crazy: and my flood pods are a completely different system

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The top of the led is only supposed to illuminate with the low beams anyway

Makes more sense. Doesn't bother me, the low beams output is more than my high beams were when I had the halogens in waiting for the LED's to come in. Actually IMO looks kind of cool too.

Yall think it could be something with how the fog light switch is tied into the headlight switch and stuff? Maybe something to do with decreased load on the system too?

Just spitballin. But none of us regular slt guys seen to be having problems :crazy: and my flood pods are a completely different system

I can't imagine it being switch or load related if non sports don't have similar issues. So far 3 sports have posted here with headlight modifications having problems, two of you are non sports with similar modifications have no similarities, and are just as confused as us.

As I stated, I'm not concerned with it as my problem isn't intermittent, and with the LED's I no longer have a NEED for fog lights, and the CSI floods I'm running are too bright to be driven at night anyways. I was going to build some smoked covers for them, but when the lower section comes on with my headlights it's again too bright to be driven at night so Imma let it be.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas

I think your right. I would run a separate switch and relay for the fogs on the 98 up trucks.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Makes more sense. Doesn't bother me, the low beams output is more than my high beams were when I had the halogens in waiting for the LED's to come in. Actually IMO looks kind of cool too.

I can't imagine it being switch or load related if non sports don't have similar issues. So far 3 sports have posted here with headlight modifications having problems, two of you are non sports with similar modifications have no similarities, and are just as confused as us.
The only difference is wiring between the sports and non sports is the high/low power. Fog lights are the same. But we're also not running fog lights or if we are not through that switch.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hehehe my 98 has the two relay fog relay and my is jumpered hehehe