Loose wire in the engine compartment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drpyhlc030

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 1500 Laramie SLT
Engine
5.9L V8
I have this ram 1500 that i bought as my first vehicle, and i'm trying to self teach myself how to fix all the little things that are wrong with it. I was looking in the under the hood to try and figure out why my cruise control wasn't working and I came across this loose wire.

It's loosely connected to the green wire with the fusebox on it (fuse is blown), but it was just tucked through some other tubes out of the way. Could this have something to do with my cruise control? If not does anyone know what it's for?
It's mounted on the left side wheelwell.

VlTYq

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You'll need to check that picture, its not showing for me.

I checked and there is no green wire listed in the wiring diagrams for vehicle speed control. Not to say that wire isn't causing the problem, just that it isn't directly related.

Slowhand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For some reason I can't see the picture you've posted (could be my computer, not sure). So I can't tell if the green wire is a factory or aftermarket wiring. But if the fuse is blown, whatever it electrifies isn't going to work until you replace the blown fuse. (I would trace the green wire to see where it goes before replacing the fuse).

But on my '95 when the cruise control stopped working. I traced the problem to the factory plastic vacuum hose that had split from years of engine heat. So I replaced the plastic vacuum hoses with rubber vacuum hoses & the cruise control is working again. So you may want to check the plastic vacuum lines.

By the way.. the good-folks from RamForum.com has posted the Factory Service Manuals on top of the 2nd-gen main page to help everyone with their repairs. (Sorry, Dudeman2009 helped me by posting the 1995 Factory Service Manual on my thread. But now I can't seem to locate the Factory Service Manuals on the RamForum site, but I thought I had seen where they had posted several Factory Manuals that can be downloaded)

OP
OP
D

Drpyhlc030

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 1500 Laramie SLT
Engine
5.9L V8
I don't know why it didn't work the first time, but here it is again.

772c5a1675fb2ec97e26b37437591e9e.jpg

The green wire is connected to the black one which isn't connected to anything.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Thats a custom circuit. That little box with the two terminals that those wires are connecting to is a self resetting circuit breaker. One of the black wires appears to be running up to the main fuse block, at least it was done semi-correct. Black is entirely the wrong color for automotive.

Trace that green wire to see where it goes before you put a fuse in it. Its possible that they had a CB or exterior lighting in there. I've run some similar wiring in my truck for a whole bunch of stuff.

As for your cruise control, I saw it mentioned earlier, vacuum lines. Right up near the battery is a smallish round thing with a cable and some wires, thats the cruise control solenoid. There should be a black hard plastic tube that runs all the way back up to the passenger side of the engine, inspect that tube for damage or cracks. I'd also inspect all the rubber and plastic lines on the passenger side of the engine intake, after all these years they rot out.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remember OEM will not use generic crimp connectors. Thats for something aftermarket thats for sure. I wonder if there was a second battery perhaps installed in the truck but there would be an isolator not a circuit breaker.

Where does the other leg of that circuit go to? That might help more figuring it out. As posted above it could be nearly anything.

If it were me, Id pull it out. It doesnt belong. The fuse is blown because that lose wire grounded somewhere. Take your time, pull it out.

OP
OP
D

Drpyhlc030

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 1500 Laramie SLT
Engine
5.9L V8
There's a little box mounted under the dash that if i remember correctly has something to do with pulling trailers and campers, that might be what it's for.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll be back for anything else I can't easily google.