Low beam headlight problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay, I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but I can't find my old topic, so I'm just gonna go ahead and ask again...

I have an odd problem with my low beams. If I have my steering column tilted down, my low beam headlights will not work. At best, they will flicker off and on. If I tilt my column up into a "school bus" position, they work no problem.

If I click the multi-function switch to the high-beam position, I have no problems; the high beam lights work irregardless of the position of the steering column.

Any idea what I should be looking at? Because of my job and time of year right now, it's not really a big deal, but as soon as the snow falls, I'll have to use my lights going to and from work, so I'd really like to resolve this problem since the "school bus" position is extremely awkward to drive with, especially for a "one-handed" driver...

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
has to be an issue along the column with the wiring or it may be getting kinked somewhere else, very wierd or perhaps pulling on it when tilted down?
Have you had this issue since owning truck?

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yup. Actually, when I bought the truck, the owner had the wheel in an up position and removed the adjusting stick so you couldn't mess with it. Of course, I didn't like it like that, so I screwed it back in and brought the wheel down and learned very quickly what the "headlight issue" was, LOL.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The wire is broke. You'll need to pull it apart and figure out which wire it is.

You MIGHT be lucky and just need to replace the switch.