Low beams flicker off and on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay, this is an annoying issue that I've had since i've owned the truck. Basically, if my steering wheel is in a lowered position, the low beams will flicker off and on randomly especially over bumps. If I raise the steering wheel, I have no problem at all. Since this "solution" has been working, I haven't proceeded thus far, but it feels like I'm driving a school bus with the wheel up like that and it's high time to address it.

Now, this problem ONLY affects the low beams. If I use the high beams, they stay on no problem irregardless of where I have the steering wheel.

I poked through the electrical diagrams in my Chiltons a while back and seem to recall there being separate grounds for the low/high beams in the multi-function switch, which would certainly explain why only my lows are affected and why the wheel position causes the problem to begin with. Does a bad ground seem like a good place to start?

KenBerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
Does a bad ground seem like a good place to start?
Use a continuity tester to connect the low beam hot wire to a good ground and see if it flickers. If it doesn't flicker then you know for sure that it's on the ground side.