New headunit vs infinity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I have the infinity system right now and its pretty old and out dated. Is a new head unit any upgrade to this? Im not exactly sure how good this "infinity" stuff is.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I'm no sure on the 2nd gens, but to run an aftermarket deck you might have to run new speaker wires to bypass the infinity amp

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well there are a few ways to go about it. I have the infinity system and for the system as a whole it sounds pretty good with the stock unit and an aftermarket unit. But this is where opinion and taste come in. For me I liked the factory sound. Good bass with a nice mix of mids and highs that didn't distort at high volume. But after time the speakers did get old and started to die. So I had to upgrade.

Now this is gonna be a slight book but here is what I have.

I have an aftermarket pioneer headunit that is tied into the factory amp. This does make a difference to me. The speakers without the amp sounded good but lacked the low punch I was looking for. Once I added in the amp i reached about what I wanted. Now my speakers are pioneer 4 way 250watt 6x9's. Headunit is a pioneer deh6500. I have an extended cab so the rears are stock. I have tweeters wired in as well. So the doors give a good low punch along with mids and highs but the tweeters really make the highs pop.

So to answer your question bluntly yes it does make a differenc if you wire in the factory amp. Slight. but there is a difference. Hope this helps

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just went the opposite way as I liked how my head unit (REC/NAV) works but the amp and speakers were weak. So, I kept the stock amp to pass a digital signal to the new Kenwood Excelon amp & Hertz HSK-165 component speakers. I also added a nice little Alpine MRP-M500 amp and 10" Type S woofer.

So if ya like the head unit but not the sound, focus your efforts on the amp & speakers!

OP
OP
johnnyjb

johnnyjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
My speakers distort at high volume which I don't like. I'm thinking changing the head unit with utilize the Amps in the speakers better. Could I change the speakers and keep the infinity amps too? I'd consider putting a 10 inch bazooka in but it would have to be small

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You sure can. Thats what i did. All you have to do is hook the after market remote wire to the factory amp. Been runnin my factory amps with my after market speakers. The amps on our trucks are on each speaker so that cab be fun placement. But can be done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk