Ported Box Design Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Okay so I wanted to make a ported box because its more appearance freindly then a plain old sealed box, but I need some help on the calculations, if there are any? I know close to nothing about ported boxes. I have come up with a design, and for you audio techy guys out there, let me know what you think or if you can help me out with the design I can post measurements.

Or if you think I should just do a sealed design let me know. Be brutally honest and if you need anything for a better idea just let me know.

subdesign.jpg

going for something like this

ruckForums-THEBAD1_sAlbum_2003HemiSportRam-Picture.jpg

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Looks like an ok sketch. Hard perspective to see it all. What material are you wanting to use? Wood/resin? Plastic? I see you plan on plexiglass lids. How big of subs: 10, 12?

Think you should measure out the sides, angles so we can see depth, and a better overall view.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I was going to use MDF wood. prob 5/8'' or 1/2''.

also just thought, should I have the port to the back or to the front of the box?

Rough estimate measurements, will get more accurate ones tomorrow.

Im planning on lifting the back seat up 2''s with a rectangle tube as a spacer.

so the approx measurements will be

front of bench to floor-->13''

back of bench to floor-->5.5-6''

side to side-->roughly 6'

end of bench to floor (hump)-->9''

back of bench to floor (hump)-->3.5-4.5''

did I leave anything out?

also need to leave space on the front corners for the handles to lift the seats

and yes I plan on using plexiglass on covers to give the box some flare. or a tougher similar material.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just do a sealed box. You aren't going to get the airspace in the box for a port to sound good. As l so there isn't enough airspace in the cab. I had a ported box in my XJ and it sounded great, but there was plenty of airspace. Also I would never use 1/2 inch mdf. 5/8 at least, and I always use 3/4.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Last edited:
OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
thanks guys, great information and exactly what I was looking for. Glad I posted here before diving in. Will go with a sealed box, thanks. Ill post pics later guys.