rca jacks from head unit to amp question help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

headhunter123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
I'm installing my new head unit and amp but behind both they're rca jacks output from head unit and input at the amp. Two sets on both that each say front and rear.
Does it matter where I plug into? Would I need two sets of jacks so I can do front and rear rca jacks input and output?
If I only use one (front or rear) output and input, would the other not work?
I am rewiring all components on my 97 single cab, except for tweeters. No sub install. Just 6x9 fronts (doors) and 5 1/4 on the rear wall/pillars connecting straight to the aftermarket amp.

Oh yeah, I need to find a hole in the firewall but can't find any. Is there one? As of now, the power to the amp runs up along the door, going up towards the hood, where the fender and the hood meet. I don't like that, it's too exposed and the door might cut into the power wire.
Also I want to bolt my amp on the wall behind my passenger seat. Do I just drill it right in?

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
When I installed subs in a my old grand cherokee I just had one set of RCA's and everything went fine.

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to retain the head units fade from front to rear speakers you will need to run two sets of RCA cables. If you don't care about that then all you would need is two RCA splittershttp://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6261&seq=1&format=2ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429453690.840425.jpg

As for the hole through firewall, there should be a spot in your driver foot well. Look for one from inside the vehicle, as well as from engine compartment. If still no luck, then make one by drilling a hole (make sure to use a rubber grommet).

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I only use one (front or rear) output and input, would the other not work?
Correct. The other will not work since your wiring up 4 speakers/ front and rear.
Unless you use RCA splitters at the amp which would make all 4 speakers either front or rear

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I installed subs in a my old grand cherokee I just had one set of RCA's and everything went fine.

Which front or rear output and input did you use on both head unit and amp?

Wrong application. Wiring a sub has different setup requirements than wiring for a 4 channel front and rear amp. Wiring a sub it doesn't really matter where you get the output signal from. You can use front, rear, or sub outputs from the head unit (most would use rear if they dont have a sub out).