Replaced Stock Head Unit, Issue is....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BradB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I spent a lot of time searching the internet and after a lot of frustration, finally got the new head unit working, as well as the front door speakers replaced.

everything works.

However, I have an issue with the new head unit being secured in the dash. I have face plate thats installed. But the Stock headunit is a 1.5 DIN while my aftermarket head unit is a single DIN. As such, there is nowhere for the aftermarket headunits bracket to secure itself into. It just kind of sits there in the dash.

I've been searching for a few days what to buy to correct this issue. I ended up coming here. Any suggestions?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I do believe you need an install kit for a Dodge to make sure it's secure.

Bearhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is the correct mount/faceplate. I just installed it a few weekends ago. It does secure the head unit without a rear support like the old metal bands that were used back in the day. I will say I added extra support by using high density foam between the bottom of the head unit and the lower portion of the enclosure.

bbeljefe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't see that dash kit on Metra's dealer site but maybe it's an old part number. It should work but here is a list of current Metra dash kits that will work:

99-6500
99-6501
99-6700

I use the 99-6700 in my truck and have been using it for ~15 years with no issue and no bracing.